Da Vinci Code

Osmer_Toby said:
i'm curious, graig, does the breakingdvc book have anything to say about the direct contradictions between the synoptic gospels of the new testament? this is the particular issue i am pursuing at the moment, but it by no means is the only one i have researched thus far, nor is it my last stop on my own journey...

Yea it touches on it. I have another book for you to check out too. I cant think of the name or author off the top of my head. But it goes beyond the DVC. It was written well before the DVC came out. It answers a lot of good questions with some hard evidence. Ill post it up later if I can find it.

There are a bunch of books that were written after the DVC. Here are some.

Secrets of the Code by Dan Burstein
The Templar Revelation by Lynn Picknett (Author), Clive Prince (Author)
The Truth Behind the Da Vinci Code by Richard Abanes
Da Vinci Code Decoded by Martin Lunn

There are hundreds of thousands of books that will give evidence on both sides of christianity. When it comes down to it its all about Faith. You can read for the rest of your life every book that says its bull or its the only way. But at the end of the day you either choose to believe it or not.

Shark said:
Oh, and on less of a theological track, I read that Brown is currently working on the sequel to DVC, and also that the dustjacket to DVC contains a code that gives information about the sequel.

Somehow that does not surprise me at all.... :goodvibe: That book was fun on so many levels....

If you've only read DVC (or DVC and Angels and Demons), I highly recommend all of dan brown's books. I've read them all, and while they're a bit formulaic (main character is dashing handsome man, and he falls for beautiful sexy smart woman in a series of adventures), they ARE good reads, and quite exciting. The rest of his canon don't revolve around religion either, so if the religion side of DVC threw you, check out some of the others...

Shark said:
If you've only read DVC (or DVC and Angels and Demons), I highly recommend all of dan brown's books. I've read them all, and while they're a bit formulaic (main character is dashing handsome man, and he falls for beautiful sexy smart woman in a series of adventures), they ARE good reads, and quite exciting. The rest of his canon don't revolve around religion either, so if the religion side of DVC threw you, check out some of the others...

Ill second that. They are all great books. I love his writing.

Super fast moving, and fast reading. Like I said, the only problem I have is that they're a bit forumlaic (especially by the 4th or 5th book). But I can block that criticism enough to really enjoy them! :-D

Shark said:
Super fast moving, and fast reading. Like I said, the only problem I have is that they're a bit forumlaic (especially by the 4th or 5th book). But I can block that criticism enough to really enjoy them! :-D

Some people like formulaic; I tend to withdraw if I suspect the author has written himself into that trap. What you just described up there mirrors what happened to John Grisham, who was a pretty good read 10 years ago. Now - ugh. It just seems, with few exceptions, like he's churning them out to keep up with contract expectations. blah

terri said:
Shark said:

Some people like formulaic; I tend to withdraw if I suspect the author has written himself into that trap. What you just described up there mirrors what happened to John Grisham, who was a pretty good read 10 years ago. Now - ugh. It just seems, with few exceptions, like he's churning them out to keep up with contract expectations. blah

yup- same thing happened to stephen king.

Yes, I think grisham has definitely become predictable. I think that's where brown (at least for now) has managed to really stay out of the trap. He's not predictable in terms of most plot details.

I think the only reason I recognize it as formulaic is because I have a background in literature and the teaching of writing. I hope brown manages to avoid going further down that path.

Kelly and I have both read all of brown's books, and she didn't recognize the formula until I pointed it out, and even then didn't see much of it. So :shrug: . Your mileage may vary. ;)

Well I was delighted with the basics of the DVC book: the pace, action, character development, etc. The other aspects of it was just gravy on top. I will definitely pick up Angels & Demons next, and then prowl around his other stuff from there. For now, I'm just happy to see an author out there who can hook me, frankly. It's been pretty barren out there in the literary world for some time. I cannot and will not read fluff.

I loved Angels and Demons and was fascinated with the discussions about matter/anti-matter - but DVC - completely knocked my socks off.... all of my favorite subjects rolled into one exciting book.

Years ago I read Holy Blood/Holy Grain, as well as the Blood Line of Jesus and a few other books in that genre - it is a fascinating subject to think about.

That being said - a while back I also bought the book graig was talking about - Breaking the DaVinci Code - just haven't read it yet. I kinda like hearing both sides of a discussion and thanks to graigs recommendations I think I'll have to read sooner than later (Thanks Graig!)

Hey Toby, here are some articles at Magdalene.Org you might find interesting.... especially "Mary Magdalene: The Beloved" by Margaret Starbird and "Mary Magdalene: Author of the Fourth Gospel?" by Ramon K. Jusino.

and speaking of the Nag Hammadi Library and the Gospel of Thomas (well, perhaps not directly - hehe)... all this - reminds me of the movie Stigmata.... one of my faves.

For now, I'm just happy to see an author out there who can hook me, frankly. It's been pretty barren out there in the literary world for some time. I cannot and will not read fluff.

a little off topic, sorry, but have you read cider house rules? or painted house? if not, you might want to check out those titles, too....

Most reactions

Back