Dabbling in Fashion and Portraiture Photography (C&C Appreciated!)

Lostfiniel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are from two different occasions, but I would really appreciate some comments on what I can work on. The people who had requested the photos were very excited with the end product and I was happy as well. Although, now a couple days have gone by and I feel like I could have stepped it up even more with a little more planning. So, feel free to push me in the right direction.

I'm shooting with a Sony Cybershot. It's a nice point and shoot and does alright for me. I'm not at a point where I've outgrown it yet either. I know most of the limitations are my own, not the cameras. Anyway....the pictures!

4583105856_4e1236c13b_o.jpg

4582476419_b478fedc43_o.jpg

4583105392_1ff19a02e3_o.jpg

4583105190_ba9a990fa9_o.jpg

4582475821_2b8b78022d_o.jpg

4583104770_cbf7048f68_b.jpg

With this one, when I got home and took a look, I realized how great it would have been to have a filter for those clouds. Also, I WAS going for a dark look on this one. If it's too dark, let me know, but I am aware this is generally darker than you would want. I really liked the idea of a gathering storm and the model standing there without a care in the world.

4583101102_f78c70ea49_b.jpg

Again, a filter would have been nice so I wouldn't overexpose the sky quite so much.

4583103152_0be87da31e_b.jpg

i really like most of these shots. one thing i did notice while scrolling down, is that the open door in #3 is a little distracting. other than that good job. next time try to decrease the # of images posted...you'll get more replies.

:lol: I had a hard enough time choosing just a couple of each person. But, noted! I'll remember that for next time.

I can see the point on the open door. I would have much preferred facing the other direction from the fountain as the background would have been very simple and off in the distance. But, sadly, by the time everyone had dressed, put on make-up and done their hair, it was the middle of the day and bright, harsh light was everywhere. *sigh*

I think in fashion you should simplify and have the focus on the model. 1 through 5(with the girl) the background/set might be too busy however #1 is my favorite since it's the simplest of the group and all my attention is to her.

Your second set 6 through 8 is generally alot better however the lighting doesn't compliment(background or model). There is alot of potential in this set and it's actually a really good location. Also watch out for cutting of fingers and feet when framing your shots. I know I get carried away myself sometimes...

Pretty darn good for a cybershot :thumbup:

I am a pretty inexperienced in portrait photography but here are some ideas on things that could help to improve your photos.

#1 - I like the sharpness of her eyes.
#2 - I find armpit shots unflattering, but that might just be me, also her eyes are not sharp enough, making sure you focus on the eyes, and get some catchlight in them would liven up the photo alot.
#3 - Again the eyes seem to just fade into the photo and I find myself looking at her shoulder more then anything else, not sure if your camera has it, but with SLRS your camera shows you what point it is focusing in, it helps a lot. I also find the door int he background distracting.
#4 - I think working within the rule of thirds would help this image, as well as zooming in and only having teh red brick as the background. The stairs and windows are distracting. Like the idea though, and her eyes are lovely and sharp.
#5 - I find the model appealing and nothing else. The harsh ligh and shadows cause distractions, the building itself is distracting, and rule of thirds really does make your images better. ( there are exception but it works well for most shots)
#6 - Great shot, but like you said tehclouds are blown, and if you had a reflector putting light into his eyes it would liven it up.

#7 - I think for this you either need to crop out the sand and sky completely or have it show more closer to the model, it looks like two different places, and the brightness of teh beach section makes you look there and not at the model.
#8 - a reflector to get somelight int he eyes is all I could suggest,

Most of these things are more noticed by other ppl who take phots and not so much by clients, I'm sure they will be quite happy with these shots. Great work. Can't wait to see what you come up with next time.

The folowing are what come to me as I viewed your pictures. In # 1 and 2 you can see the saturation in her hair, but like the shots, clear and I think good composition.
#3 is very nice, #4 the lighting bugs me sorry, I think a little harsh. #5 you see your relection in the window or its some random person. The rest I like but can't see detail in his shirt in 6 and 8. Overall I like them. Im still new so please take it that way.

Your second set 6 through 8 is generally alot better however the lighting doesn't compliment(background or model). There is alot of potential in this set and it's actually a really good location. Also watch out for cutting of fingers and feet when framing your shots. I know I get carried away myself sometimes...

As for the lighting, I did mess with it quite a bit. Would you say I needed to keep things lighter than what I have? I can go through really quick and try something different to compare.

Would you say I needed to keep things lighter than what I have?

Yes for the second set, except for #7, they are generally underexposed. A basic setup if you don't want to use flash is maybe a reflector to eliminate some of the shadows on the subject and then increase up your exposure atleast half a stop more on # 8 and maybe a stop for #6.

I like them. The only things i can say is

#1 - watch your white balance, her skin looks a touch warm
#6 and #8 he looks to be squinting a little. If you are doing portraits, it's best to do them right before sunset when the sunlight is not harsh.If this is not possible, get the model into pose then get them to close their eyes for 30sec. tell them to open right as you take the shot, then even if they are looking directly into the sun their eyes will be wide for that moment. I used to do swimwear modelling and the photographers would get us to do that and after maybe 4 or 5 times you get used to the light and stop squinting, by then they have their shot anyway! LOL

may i also add... sorry to be a pain.
The others have mentioned your lighting, remember that when you look at you picture on the monitor it is back lit, as in all your light is comming from inside your monitor so your print will be darker as all light comes from whatever light source is around you while holding your photo. always best if you are goin to print them to go one stop lighter and they will print out how you first saw them. or, you can get one printed then hold it up to your monitor and adjust your monitors light settings to replicate that of your image in hand.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back