Daddy's Cowgirl

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Johnboy2978, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys and gals, it's been a while since I've had a chance to post anything. I took these last night, and wondered what you all thought of it. I've been waiting for some time now for her to be big enough to sit on this for 30 seconds to take a pic and she loved it. Questions, comments and brutal attacks welcome.
    EXIF Info:
    Pentax ist ds;
    Mode: Manual mode
    Lens: Pentax 50mm lens
    Aperture: f/8
    Shutter Speed: 1/180
    Metering: spot metering
    Taken with Alien Bee 800

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very cute...well done.

I think the highlight level is a tad low. (whites don't look white, on my monitor anyway). I'd use levels to bump it up just a bit.

Probably the same issue...but the B&W version looks a bit too dark as well.

3. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like #1. I love b&w but it doesn't work with this photo. Maybe she is just too cute to NOT to be in color!! :)

4. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great expression. You captured a nice moment.

I also think you the whites could use a boost. It looks like you did some post work to the white bg? Not sure if it's intentional, but you missed a few 'waves' on the right hand side.

Personally, I think the ruffled areas I can see add a nice texture to the shot. The only spots that bother me are, in between all the horses legs. Very wrinkled compared to everything else. And the closest rocker looks like it's got some artifacts around it...possibly from your selection method?

5. Johnboy2978

Photos OK to edit
    One big problem I had with this was the BG. I shot it against a white sheet but on the raw file, it looked almost grey. Also I had it pinned up against a bookcase (my own little ghetto studio) and you could see the outlines of the bookcase near the top. So, I carefully selected the BG only and I could make it totally white, however, then it lost all detail, and it looked like it was just floating in mid air. So I brought it back down a little so it was dingey white but still had some detail of a background. What is the best way to do this? I also had a lot of problem when I was trying to separate my daughter and the horse from the BG in trying to keep the finer details of the horse intact. I tried changing the contrast/lightness, tried adding a gausian blur to the BG, tried a gradient fill, etc, etc. I never got anything I was totally happy with.
    Suggestions are very appreciated.

6. oCyrus55

oCyrus55 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm just happy that you have a ghetto lighting setup like me. :)

7. Johnboy2978

Photos OK to edit
    Well, most of the time, my results are passable and I've learned to live with some things, but I'd like to make them as nice as possible. I've learned that there is a lot of nice, fancy things that you can skimp on, but it doesn't always work out. I made a BG holder out of PVC pipe, but didn't want to drag it out for this. And king size sheets 'usually' work as a BG for my daughter while she's this size instead of an expensive muslin BG. Maybe if I'd used my sigma ef 500 dg super flash as a slave to light the BG, I wouldn't have had this problem?

Just browsing some of my filters...I tried an alien skin Eye Candy filter (crumpled tissue) and got this...what do you think?

[​IMG]