Dainty Skirt

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by areuwhatudream, Aug 15, 2004.

1. areuwhatudream

areuwhatudream TPF Noob!

I posted this picture before, and we were discussing the presence of a woman's arm and leg coming into the frame. I couldn't decide what I wanted to do, so I played around on photoshop and took her out to see what it looked like... what do you think?

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

2. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

I think #2 is better. I think it would be stronger if she would have been cropped out and end up with the girl more to the right of the frame.

3. areuwhatudream

areuwhatudream TPF Noob!

Yeah maybe I should try that, I kind of feel like I'm cheating with Photoshop...

4. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

Don't, it's a great tool. I don't personally use it but that's just because I haven't picked up a copy yet and gone through the learning curve.

5. ShutterBug4_4

ShutterBug4_4 TPF Noob!

I like the 2nd one better.

BTW, this is an awesome photo, I love it!

:thumbsup:

6. Sash[DSL]

Sash[DSL] TPF Noob!

I like the second one a lot better, but i think you need to crop about 15-20% og width to the right so that the subject is closer to bottom right interest zone. Also, try adding soft focus to the background, I think that might help the subject stand out.

7. Scurra

Scurra TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I hate to be picky but as a multimedia student I use photoshop a lot and it's possible to see where you have cloned in more bricks to cover where the woman was. The lines of mortar are slightly distorted. I would say crop the second shot down to remove that effect, however I also feel that the presence of the arm and leg in the first place gives the photo a slightly more busy feel, like the shot wasn't staged (which I would imagine it wasn't) and I think that adds to the overall character of the piece.

8. santino

santino TPF Noob!

to me #1 outstanding....

9. StvShoop

StvShoop TPF Noob!

i think the first one is the best, but it was good to work with removing that person and see what the shot looked like
    if only that person on the right didn't have such an animated look...

still, great photo :)

10. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First, great job on the capture. These moments in time are difficult to capture on film where all elements fall together and the photographer has the presence of mind to frame it properly and take the photo before the moment is gone. Well done.

For me, both work. #1 has an element of action on both sides of the girl - isolating her stillness nicely. #2 focuses even more on the girl's point of view - what she is watching. I agree that #2 needs a slight crop placing the girl a little closer to the lower right.

11. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like #1. In many cases having someone leaving the image can be distracting, but with the subject matter here, and with the girl being split by the opposite side, it doesn't bother me. It's almost like the main subject, the little girl, is framed by the other folks in the pic. Possibly I'd burn in the woman so she isn't so bright.

12. central183

central183 TPF Noob!

I like #2, but like others, I say crop the right of the photo about an inch. The clone job was fine. You can tell it was clone because you saw the first photo. But if all you saw was photo 2, you wouldn't be looking for imperfections in the brick. -anyway, just hack of that right inch. That should do it.