Dallas - November 6, 2006

Rick Waldroup

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.rickwphotography.com
President Bush visited Dallas on November 6, 2006- the night before national Congressional and Senate elections.

He was greeted by several thousand protesters.

The camera was a Nikon D2H with a 50mm 1.8 lens.

81426249.jpg

Last edited:
love the grain.

good shot

Love the "content". :) This is one rally I would have loved to attend. hehe

I will set all politics aside and say the grain of the shot works really well, IMO. It has a much older feel to it, which IMO is neat.

I hate to say what I don't like as a beginner, but does it seem to anyone else like the people are kind of crowded at the bottom? I feel like adding a bit more to the bottom of the photo wouldn't hurt, but with how I am at composing an image, this is probably bad advice. I'd definitely wait for someone to echo my sentiment before you take it as advice. :)

Thank you for sharing. As I said before, it has a very gritty, journalistic feel to it which I really love. And although I'd love to comment on the political side of the photo, I will stop short of showing my colors and simply say, "Nice photo!" :)

Thanks to all for the comments.

Mikki, this was shot outside Reunion Arena in downtown Dallas.

Mr. Hound, you are dead on in your observations about the framing. This was one of those shots that appears and then is quickly gone. It was dark, I was shooting at a high ISO, hence the grain look, and unfortunately, I did not have a wider lens on the camera at the time. I was in the crowd, saw the shot, and had only a split second to decide whether to show more of the crowd or get the sign and balloons in. I went with the signs and balloons. As quickly as I got the shot, the moment was gone.

I remember when I got home and first saw the shot, I had the same reaction you did- Damn, if I could have gotten just a bit lower!

That's the way it goes sometimes in a fast moving situation. The funny thing is, is that I was shooting two cameras and had a wider lens on the other one, but I had the D2H to my eye and knew that I did not even have time to swing the other camera up to shoot.

Thanks to all, once again, for your comments.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back