Dallas, TX to Anchorage, AK

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a road trip that I have been planning with a couple of friends of mine to Anchorage, AK. I was looking online and it's going to be just over 4000 miles (6500 km) one way, and if we travel at an average of 60 mph (96.6 kph) for 8 hours a day (I would like to get out a lot and take pictures) it would take us eight and a half days to get there one way. That to me is a vacation!

Did you just watch “Into the Wild”?

IMO your planning is over looking a few things. Are you just going to haul a$$ for Anchorage? Driving or riding straight thought for 8-9 days 8 hours a day, will be rough on body & soul. Do you plan to stop a long the way for sign seeing? I have drive parts of the Alaska Highway, IMO it is not possible to average 60mph.

Also you could fly or go by train and ferry, then get around by rent a car, bus, train, hike or bike.

I love a good road trip with friends. Sounds like fun.

I agree with Jeff, plan for more time because there will be many, many things to see along the way...not to mention that you never know what interesting side trips you might want to take.

I did a whirlwind trip to Alaska once...I really wish I could have spent more time but we drove up there to surprise my sister, who was getting married in Juneau while on a cruise. We drove from Edmonton to Skagway in about 24 hours, then took the ferry to Juneau (6 hours). We stayed for one night and then came home. Way too short of a trip.

Anyway, if you drive through Edmonton, don't forget to wave.

Hmmm... good advice... This is still probably 2 to 3 years down the road, and of course I'll want to stop and take pictures. I think the first would be Yellowstone which is a tad out of the way but still... I just want to drive it. IMHO OK, KS and parts of the east side of CO and WY are boring as anything can be so the first day could be driving though most of it. It wouldn't be until we got to Yellowstone that we would want to stay for a bit. Then I high tale it to Canada. I don't know much about the scenic areas in Canada as I have only been once. The longest part of the drive would be the Alaskan Highway I'm thinking... If I could take off a whole month I would. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to take off in two years though. Thanks for the advice again, and Mike it looks like the most logical route would be through Edmonton so I'll say hi if I can...

and Mike it looks like the most logical route would be through Edmonton so I'll say hi if I can...
I think the classic 'Alaska Highway' starts (or starts again) just West of Edmonton where 'Highway 43' goes north from 'Highway 16' (aka Yellowhead).
I've driven that route many times. It's not the most scenic road but there are a few sites to see. Plus, you probably aren't too familiar with the Norther Boreal Forest, so it might be somewhat more interesting.

If I were to suggest a more scenic route, I'd suggest that you come north as far as Calgary, then turn west to Banff. Then turn north on highway 93 (aka The Icefields Parkway). That route is on many lists of top scenic drives...anywhere in the world.
That takes you to Jasper, and from there you would need to go east toward Edmonton, but the most direct route would turn north before getting to Edmonton and get to highway 43. 43 turns into 97 at the Alberta/British Columbia border and runs right to Anchorage.

Just thinking about it, really makes me want to take that trip.

You'll have a great time. In 2000 I took a roadtrip from Massachusetts to Alaska. It was about 5000 miles for us and took about 5 days with one person driving in the daylight only. We went up there only stopping at night and stopped at certain places on the way home, but we were going to visit relatives. Mike is right about the speed too, once you hit the Rockies there's lots of mountain roads with no guardrails :stun:. A few places you might want to check are are Mt. Flattop, there a some great views of the city on a clear day . Also, it's south of Anchorage but I really liked Seward, it had a glacier you could hike too, called Exit Glacier. Also, they have some nice shorelines. I just wish when I went on that trip that I had the equipment I have now...

Most reactions

Back