Damn lockout (hockey topic)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Sharkbait, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

::sigh::

All you anti-hockey ppl, pls do me a favor and just keep it to yourselves, 'k? This really depresses me. :(

:(

2. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

If this goes the whole season (or more) which it very much looks like it will, I really think this could be the end of the NHL as we know it. In some ways that really sucks, but in some ways the NHL has been going in the wrong directions for years now.

3. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

This photo pretty much sums up my thoughts...

[​IMG]

4. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok...without me reading that entire thing, what exactly is a lockout?

5. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

The players union and the team owners can't come to an agreement about a new collective bargaining agreement, so they're going to have a lockout--sort of like a strike but it's from both sides at the same time. Instead of the players striking, the players are going to strike AND the owners aren't going to let them play anyway.

In effect, no hockey until at least January, and probably not even at all this season (and possibly next season as well).

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the problem is at the highest level. Gary Betman, the NHL commissioner and Bob Goodenow, the Player's Association President, are to blame.

Betman is incompetent and Goodenow is stubborn and ignorant. They each have their team of lawyers and spin doctors that don't seem to care either.

The way I see it...the owners are to blame for the problem. They were the ones who started shelling out the enormous salaries. The players did not refuse...who would?
    But Now it's the players who need to step up and fix this. The PA will not even consider any deal that involves any sort of salary cap. The PA is acting like a four year old in an argument.

The NFL put in a salary cap and it's the best run pro sports league. Why doesn't the PA see this?

I believe that the vast majority of the players don't feel as strongly as they are represented by the PA. They just want to play...it's not like they still won't be getting huge salaries. Unfortunately the players can't or won't stand up to their own union. I can understand that...they don't want to be black listed.

It seem that neither side really understands the consequences of an extended lock-out. Ratings in the US (where the money is) are way down. Americans (as a whole) just don't want to watch hockey. The lock-out will just serve to worsen this situation until the league becomes obsolete. It's an endless spiral of death...they must do something to fix the problem...and do it soon.

7. graigdavis

graigdavis TPF Noob!

:cry:

That sucks. But I really hope something better comes of it. Maybe the NHL can reconstruct and get players that just want to play and not for half a billion a year. Maybe ticket prices will be cut so you can actualy afford to go. If not, then farm leagues and college teams will have a bigger crowd and that would be awesome! I know Im going to be spending more time at BW watching hockey, and watching Clevelands farm league.

8. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

I agree. I love seeing hockey at the highest level, but we've got 2 teams within easy driving distance (columbus and chicago, and nashville's only a couple hrs further), and I would never consider going to see them in person--too damn expensive. :|

But I will go to a lot more Ice games this year here in Indy...

9. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree...

The Oilers moved their farm team to Edmonton this year. So we will have pro hockey here this year anyway.

10. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

That's good. After last season, the Indy Ice folded their professional club, disbanded, and brought in an amateur team from some development league. :shrug: Buncha kids, but now it'll be like watching the "somedays" instead of the "hasbeens" ;)

11. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    On the good side...

A lot of the lower level hockey is really fun to watch. These guys have something to play for. They are trying to get noticed, they are trying to get their chance.

All too often it seems that the pros just mail it in.

12. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Figures, I get high def TV just in time to catch the last game of the Stanely Cup playoffs (which is awesome to watch in HD) and now there won't be any season....and I was looking SO forward to watching games in HD. :(