Damn problems continue

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Battou, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    For the longest time I had been operating on a computer that operated on Windows ME. When I looked into getting a negative scanner I looked specifically for one that would run on ME. Back in November I suffered a double computer crash, both my computer at work and the one at home up and died. Now the one at work, though a problem was not going to interfere with my scanning process. The one at home however did but that is not all of the problem. After the crash I was helped out and given a couple of computers as payment for some work I've done in the past. Both of these computers are newer and more powerful than the one I had, yay right. Well as it turns out my Canon Canoscan FS 2710 is not compatible with Windows XP, in fact windows ME was the last version it supported without hassle.

Since Canon is more interested in selling new products than supporting the currently owned and operated equipment, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have to either get the old computer operational and put the equipment back into that computer, buy a new scanner or buy adapters and download a bunch of driver crap and prey that it actually works.

Now running a third PC is out of the question, I hated the process of scanning on one PC and transferring to a second PC for processing back when I had only the one PC needing to take the images to work to use Photoshop CS3 not to mention the space required for a third PC that I do not have.

This leaves me to either buy a new scanner or buy an adapter and download the driver crap. Now I can't exactly afford a new scanner or an adapter at this time, but I need my damn scanner back up and running, this is killing me.

Suffice it to say next time I am Olean I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pick up a friggin adapter whether I have the money or not.

If that don't work I'm going to be seriously pissed.

2. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry to hear about your problems with the OS. Running a decade old OS will always present problems. Heck, just being one generation of OS's out of sync with the rest of the world can be a problem. When I updated to Vista my computer was rendered practically useless... nothing worked that I needed.

If you're running an old Canon scanner, you can't really fault Canon for not updating drivers indefinitely. They, like all manufacturers that produce hundreds (if not thousands) of products, figure each unit has a set useful life span and they stop support after X number of years.

I have a whole closet full of old scanners, printers, webcams, etc. that no longer work because they're not supported by their manufacturers anymore.

Hell, I'm limping my HP ScanJet along because they haven't release new drivers for it since 2005. I'm lucky that it still works (barely, all sorts of GUI issues) on my 10.6 OSX system.

3. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

If your current computer is powerful enough, you can try create a virtual machine and load the Windows ME.

If you know more about Linux, I will say go with Linux with VMware Server and run Windows as the VM. But if you do not want to go that route, Windows Virtual PC may work for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/virtual-pc-2007.aspx

4. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Battou, use the windows 2000 driver on your install disk (or search the net for it), win2k drivers work in XP- for the most part anyway and that scanner is compatible with XP.
    Canon CanoScan FS2710 Reviews

Have a better day. ;)

5. Battou

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Won't work
    I've followed Canon's instructions on how to get the scanner operational on XP to the letter and still it will not work

6. Face the music and get a new scanner. You might solve the problem now, but in the next couple of years you'll face it again.

7. Mike_E

Photos OK to edit
    Did you try uninstalling any driver that xp tried to associate with it and then reinstalling the w2k driver for it?

8. Battou

Photos NOT OK to edit

The music I am facing is that I have no money. I make $500 a month and have bills to pay. A couple years from now I might actually have a real job and might be able to afford it. It's now I need the solution for.

9. Battou

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, I did.

10. Mike_E

Photos OK to edit
    That sux. :(

11. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You could always install a copy of Windows ME on a partition of your XP machine (which should take up very little space on your hard drive), and then be able to save files on the partition that XP is on, or a third partition that is accessible by both operating systems. You can probably find a copy of Windows ME or 2K to buy somewhere on the net for a couple dollars. This way, you'd only have to restart and switch operating systems to edit your files or scan something, rather than transferring stuff around. You'd also only need one machine.

If you don't have money to pay for stuff, you can always do some learning and figure out a solution to the problem. The internet is an amazing learning tool.

12. Sam6644

Sam6644 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good god... it's 2010!