Damn problems continue

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For the longest time I had been operating on a computer that operated on Windows ME. When I looked into getting a negative scanner I looked specifically for one that would run on ME. Back in November I suffered a double computer crash, both my computer at work and the one at home up and died. Now the one at work, though a problem was not going to interfere with my scanning process. The one at home however did but that is not all of the problem. After the crash I was helped out and given a couple of computers as payment for some work I've done in the past. Both of these computers are newer and more powerful than the one I had, yay right. Well as it turns out my Canon Canoscan FS 2710 is not compatible with Windows XP, in fact windows ME was the last version it supported without hassle.

Since Canon is more interested in selling new products than supporting the currently owned and operated equipment, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have to either get the old computer operational and put the equipment back into that computer, buy a new scanner or buy adapters and download a bunch of driver crap and prey that it actually works.

Now running a third PC is out of the question, I hated the process of scanning on one PC and transferring to a second PC for processing back when I had only the one PC needing to take the images to work to use Photoshop CS3 not to mention the space required for a third PC that I do not have.

This leaves me to either buy a new scanner or buy an adapter and download the driver crap. Now I can't exactly afford a new scanner or an adapter at this time, but I need my damn scanner back up and running, this is killing me.

Suffice it to say next time I am Olean I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pick up a friggin adapter whether I have the money or not.

If that don't work I'm going to be seriously pissed.

Sorry to hear about your problems with the OS. Running a decade old OS will always present problems. Heck, just being one generation of OS's out of sync with the rest of the world can be a problem. When I updated to Vista my computer was rendered practically useless... nothing worked that I needed.

If you're running an old Canon scanner, you can't really fault Canon for not updating drivers indefinitely. They, like all manufacturers that produce hundreds (if not thousands) of products, figure each unit has a set useful life span and they stop support after X number of years.

I have a whole closet full of old scanners, printers, webcams, etc. that no longer work because they're not supported by their manufacturers anymore.

Hell, I'm limping my HP ScanJet along because they haven't release new drivers for it since 2005. I'm lucky that it still works (barely, all sorts of GUI issues) on my 10.6 OSX system.

If your current computer is powerful enough, you can try create a virtual machine and load the Windows ME.

If you know more about Linux, I will say go with Linux with VMware Server and run Windows as the VM. But if you do not want to go that route, Windows Virtual PC may work for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/virtual-pc-2007.aspx
Won't work
Battou, use the windows 2000 driver on your install disk (or search the net for it), win2k drivers work in XP- for the most part anyway and that scanner is compatible with XP.
Canon CanoScan FS2710 Reviews

Have a better day. ;)

I've followed Canon's instructions on how to get the scanner operational on XP to the letter and still it will not work

Face the music and get a new scanner. You might solve the problem now, but in the next couple of years you'll face it again.

Face the music and get a new scanner. You might solve the problem now, but in the next couple of years you'll face it again.

The music I am facing is that I have no money. I make $500 a month and have bills to pay. A couple years from now I might actually have a real job and might be able to afford it. It's now I need the solution for.

You could always install a copy of Windows ME on a partition of your XP machine (which should take up very little space on your hard drive), and then be able to save files on the partition that XP is on, or a third partition that is accessible by both operating systems. You can probably find a copy of Windows ME or 2K to buy somewhere on the net for a couple dollars. This way, you'd only have to restart and switch operating systems to edit your files or scan something, rather than transferring stuff around. You'd also only need one machine.

If you don't have money to pay for stuff, you can always do some learning and figure out a solution to the problem. The internet is an amazing learning tool.

Jeesh Sam that's harsh. Windows ME was the predecessor to XP. ME was released in 2000 which may sound old, but then the operating system that most of the world is using now XP was released in 2001. Big difference there ;)

Since Canon is more interested in selling new products than supporting the currently owned and operated equipment, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Article

"Unlike earlier versions of Windows, Windows 2000 and XP do not include "ASPI Support" required by legacy design SCSI devices."

Sounds to me like you should be blaming Windows not Canon.

According to that link, there is a work around by installing ASPI support from the adaptec website.

You could always install a copy of Windows ME on a partition of your XP machine (which should take up very little space on your hard drive), and then be able to save files on the partition that XP is on, or a third partition that is accessible by both operating systems. You can probably find a copy of Windows ME or 2K to buy somewhere on the net for a couple dollars. This way, you'd only have to restart and switch operating systems to edit your files or scan something, rather than transferring stuff around. You'd also only need one machine.

If you don't have money to pay for stuff, you can always do some learning and figure out a solution to the problem. The internet is an amazing learning tool.

I've looked into that running a dual boot is more of a hassle than it's worth because I would have to screw with the boot.ini to provide a boot menu

Since Canon is more interested in selling new products than supporting the currently owned and operated equipment, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Article

"Unlike earlier versions of Windows, Windows 2000 and XP do not include "ASPI Support" required by legacy design SCSI devices."

Sounds to me like you should be blaming Windows not Canon.

According to that link, there is a work around by installing ASPI support from the adaptec website.

I'm not particularly blaming Canon....their cookie cutter response pissed me off a little. The last few months have been full of a lot of problems with a lot of information lost. I'm really bothered by this, I have not even taken my camera out of the house in a couple months because there is nothing I can do with the photos afterward.

" Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Canon CanoScan FS2710 Scanner.

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your Canoscan
FS2710. Please be advised that to run the FS2710 on Windows XP you will need
to download and install the following:

The latest version of 'CanoCraft' v3.6.4r1 from Canon UK - Home
The latest 'ASPI v4.71' update from Adaptec -

Before starting the installation of the please make sure any current
installations of CanoCraft are uninstalled and the SCSI card is installed.
Then install the new version
of CanoCraft followed by the ASPIv4.71 update.

Please note that it says on the Adaptec website that this version is not
suitable for Windows XP, however it is required to allow communication
through the SCSI port.

When you have installed the CanoCraft and ASPI32 update please run the
'CanoCraft Automatic Configuration'.

This is done by clicking on 'Start', scroll up to 'Programs' then up to
'Canon CanoCraft FS'. Then scroll across to and click on 'CanoCraft
Automatic Configuration'. This will configure the scanner to your PC, once
it has finished please restart your PC and then try the scanner.

We hope this information is of use to you. Should you require any further
technical assistance,
please do not hesitate to contact us, quoting your customer number. "

I did not follow the instruction from Adapted regarding installation vis a
BAT file.

Adaptec said:

"Installation Instruction:
This file extracts by default to the c:\adaptec\aspi directory. If you have
changed this directory, please note the directory you have chosen. For
Windows 98, NT 4.0, Me and 2000, use the enclosed ASPIINST.EXE file to
install the ASPI layer. For Windows XP, select Start - Run from the menu,
and then the Browse button. Locate the INSTALL.BAT file in the directory the
files extracted to and select the OPEN button. In the command box, add a
space and either XP32 for Pentium I/II/III/IV processors or XP64 for Itanium
processors. The command should look like: c:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat XP32
or c:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat XP64. Then select the OK button to run the XP
installer."

I downloaded the ASPI stuff from adaptec, I also downloaded 3.6.6 driver for the scanner that according to Canon is supposed to support XP and yet it does not work.

Most reactions

Back