Dance Studio Portraits

KevinR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey All,
I haven't had a ton of time with the new lights and camera. Summer has been busier than I expected, but I was able to do a few of my daughter before her recital. The photographer they had at the dance studio was not that good, so I am hoping to snag that job or at least book a few sessions from some of the moms there. Let me know what you think. They are a little dark on my screen, but prints came out pretty nice.

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

They look dark on my screen as well. Also, her feet are almost lost in shadow on both full length shots. While having the face be the brightest spot can often be good...I think they would look better if the lighter was more even. Try moving your light lower.

I'm not sure what happened with the upload. The feet are much more visible on the originals. The one thing that bugs me is that my back light was not set up strong enough. I was messing with a shoot through umbrella. I had like 15 min to shoot because the girls where running late.

The funny thing I am trying to adjust to is the fact that I don't have to worry about flash sync like I used to with film cameras. It was so ingrained into me that I had to make sure about the shutter speeds.

What is different about the flash sync between your digital camera and film camera? My DSLR has a fastest sync speed, just like my film camera does...and I shoot flash the exact same way...using shutter speed to control ambient exposure and aperture/flash power to control flash exposure.

Being able to shoot above 250 of a sec. I was always limited to 250 with my film cameras without the curtain getting in the way. There wasn't a problem at 500th, so I was able to shoot with a little more open apeture. Little ones move alot.

What camera do you have? The sync speed of my 20D is 1/250. (was only 1/125 on my older film camera).

If you have a camera with a shutter (with some exceptions) then you have to worry about sync speed at some time.

I understand that. I have the D200. The sync is rated at 250 I believe, but up to 1000, I was getting a good picture. Maybe it has something to do with the lighting (AB's). Anyway, I will take advantage of it when I can.

Most reactions

Back