Dance Studio - What do you think of the processing on these?

Parker219

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a dance studio that has an after school program for kids, and teaches them dance as well.
Its target range is girls around this age, plus it was the owners daughter.
What do you think?

Dance-1-1-sfw.jpg
Dance-3-sfw.jpg
Teach-1-c-sfw.jpg

I have "normal" edits, but I just feel these edits suit the situation.

Any general comments or c&c welcomed!

Last edited:
These in my opinion are perfectly fine but I would say experiment more, you could photograph more exciting compositions.

Ok, or is the black and white better?
Dance-1-bw-c-sfw.jpg
Dance-2-bw-sfw.jpg
Teach-1-bw-sfw.jpg

#2 shows the girl's joy in dance, but whatever you did to her face should be undone.

#1 translates well to monochrome, but not #s 2 & 3.

Overall, the studio shots are "too clean", that is; sterile. I think to recruit new students you need to show the fun of dancing in a relaxed atmosphere. If the owner wants it sterile, then that goes contrary to my opinion. FWIW: the place is not actually so sterile anyway, so that preference, if it is a preference, will fail on the soiled slipper bottoms.

I think you said what I was thinking when I edited these...I noticed a lot of details in the studio / bottom of shoes so I wanted these to look...softer...they also had some noise, so the noise reduction softened some things up more.

BW is better I think. All I focussed on in the colour versions was the childs make up.

^ Hmmm...maybe I should dial down the reds. ^

I prefer the BW as well. I think these would have been better if the owner had gotten permission from some of her students parents to have them photographed then had you photograph a whole class. Her daughter is fine but to me she doesn't look like she's enjoying herself, her facial expressions look plastered on her face. I know if I were looking for a program for my girls I would want to see photos of a class in session with the kids looking like they enjoy what they are doing. Ballet can be kind of "stiff" but the enjoyment can still show in your facial expressions.

^ Exactly what I said, but the owner didnt want to do that. I will see if I have any with more of a smile.

BW is better I think. All I focussed on in the colour versions was the childs make up.

Speaking of makeup, who puts on makeup in the studio? Studios are for practicing, makeup is for recitals.

FWIW - though nice to have, there is no legal need for permission from the other kids parents to photograph them.

You could even sell photos of the other kids sans parents permission, unless the photos were being used for a commercial purpose.

The owner might be planning to use these photos for print ads or brochures.

^ Yes, the photos will be in a magazine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back