Dancing at a wedding, what lens/lights do you use?

Just curious to what people use when photographing the dancing part of a wedding. I know it all depends on the lighting, it seems that most of the weddings I do are always night time so natural window light is slim and normal lights are dimmed.

This depends on if I want a full-length or half-length (waist-up) shot. Usually I use my 24-70 f/2.8.

There are a couple of issues you might have that can be easily overcome. Dance shots at weddings may be in extremely poor lighting. A quality external speedlite flash with a focus-assist beam can fix the "not enough light to focus issue". There can also be an issue with movement. "Back in the day" when we shot this stuff with film cameras at 100 ASA, I'd shoot the bridal party dance by having the couple pause in mid-motion for just a second and snap the shot. I STILL do this today even though the camera can certainly handle the movement. I find that when people are moving you can get some wonky looking body positions and facial expressions that you don't get if you pause the couple for the brief moment needed for the shot.

If you do this do the other dancers have moron blur while the main couple end up in focus?

Just curious to what people use when photographing the dancing part of a wedding. I know it all depends on the lighting, it seems that most of the weddings I do are always night time so natural window light is slim and normal lights are dimmed.

This depends on if I want a full-length or half-length (waist-up) shot. Usually I use my 24-70 f/2.8.

There are a couple of issues you might have that can be easily overcome. Dance shots at weddings may be in extremely poor lighting. A quality external speedlite flash with a focus-assist beam can fix the "not enough light to focus issue". There can also be an issue with movement. "Back in the day" when we shot this stuff with film cameras at 100 ASA, I'd shoot the bridal party dance by having the couple pause in mid-motion for just a second and snap the shot. I STILL do this today even though the camera can certainly handle the movement. I find that when people are moving you can get some wonky looking body positions and facial expressions that you don't get if you pause the couple for the brief moment needed for the shot.

If you do this do the other dancers have moron blur while the main couple end up in focus?

It is not polite to refer to the other dancers as "morons". ;-) (I think you meant to write "motion" bur, but I couldn't resist.)

Usually when I touch the hand of the couple I want to photograph (e.g. the bridal dance, etc.) I'm most often shooting a half-shot (waist-up) and no other dancers appear in the frame. When I take a full-length shot (bride & groom, or bride dancing with her father, etc.) they are the only ones on the dance floor.

*motion. Yes that is what I wanted to know. Thanks for the answer.

50mm f/1.4
wide open
ambient light.
I like the atmospheric feel to it.

It is not polite to refer to the other dancers as "morons". ;-)
It's highly tempting because they're doing what is known as the "basic" in dance terminology and yet they think they're dancing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back