Dancing Reflections [on a new camera]

waday

Do one thing every day that scares you
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, decided to clear out my bank account and get a new camera. Got an Olympus OMD EM-1 with the 12-40 mm f/2.8 kit lens. I like it so far. Definitely seeing myself getting more lenses soon. I'm also very new to mirrorless and M43.

So far, I like the image quality. Still getting used to the camera and settings. I find myself constantly hitting wrong buttons, having the camera set up to manual focus by accident, and accidentally changing the autofocus points (which is extremely frustrating). Can't wait until I become accustomed to the camera layout.

I like the touch to focus and shoot feature on the screen, but the battery life is so bad compared to my Canon XSi. :(

Anyways, long post to say: I liked this photo. One of my first few photos in the real world, aside from taking test shots of the dog, wife, and family.

Comments and suggestions on edits welcome.

Dancing Reflections
by Wade, on Flickr

Nice image. Good clarity and composition. Like the six leading lines. Well done, nice conversion.

Very nice compositon and idea.
I do think that the abundance of bright spots hurts the impact. It's hard to spot the reflection and to isolate teh woman from the background.

upload_2016-11-29_10-43-3.png

Nice image. Good clarity and composition. Like the six leading lines. Well done, nice conversion.
Thanks! :smile:

Very nice compositon and idea.
I do think that the abundance of bright spots hurts the impact. It's hard to spot the reflection and to isolate teh woman from the background.
Lew, thanks for the comments! I like your edit! I'll have to try that when I get home. Totally agree with the bright spots, hard-to-see reflection, and isolating the woman from the background (the other group of women didn't help).

Nice capture. I'm sure the smaller camera makes it easier to carry, too!

Side note...I didn't know you were allowed to buy a new camera and not take cat photos first...

Nice capture. I'm sure the smaller camera makes it easier to carry, too!

Side note...I didn't know you were allowed to buy a new camera and not take cat photos first...
Yes, I like the small size of the camera and the articulating screen!

Haha, there weren't any cats around! :(

If this picture was mine (which I wish it were), working on the color original, I would add a new layer. Then, on that layer, literally paint over the bright spots on the people behind her and blur the edges so it blends.

Then, on a copy of the original, lighten the color in her coat to outline her against the crowd.

Then, again on another layer, slightly darken the side panels of the train so that the windows stand out.

Then convert to BW.
I use a lot of layers to give the option to fix over-zealous editing by deleting or changing opacity.
If I'm satisfied, then I collapse them all, for BWs throw away color info and save.

Last edited:
If this picture was mine (which I wish it were), working on the color original, I would add a new layer. Then, on that layer, literally paint over the bright spots on the people behind her and blur the edges so it blends.

Then, on a copy of the original, lighten the color in her coat to outline her against the crowd.

Then, again on another layer, slightly darken the side panels of the train so that the windows stand out.

Then convert to BW.
I use a lot of layers to give the option to fix over-zealous editing by deleting or changing opacity.
If I'm satisfied, then I collapse them all, for BWs throw away color info and save.
Will attempt this tonight. :smile:

If this picture was mine (which I wish it were)
This is the highest form of compliment. A very humbled thank you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back