Danger, danger. C&C

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Taken with D90, 28-80 F/3.3-5.6G Nikkor lens, and Quantaray +10 macro 'lens.' of my bearded dragon.

CSC_1602.jpg

F/4.8 1/60sec ISO320 60mm

Tell me what you think.
Thanks.
Mark

It was supposed to be the eye, but I think it ended up being more of the nostril. The macro lens makes for rediculously hard focusing and usually not amazing quality. The DOF endes up being super, super thin no matter what the aperture is at on the camera. This photo was set at F/8 and look how shallow the DOF is with the macro lens attatched.
DSC_1429.jpg

(more info and examples here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nature-wildlife/166803-rest-c-c.html )

Mark

For portraits (including animals) the most important part to get in focus is usually the eye. In this case the eye is out of focus, which spoils the shot. Also, the depth of field is really shallow. Try a smaller aperture to get more of its head in focus. On a more positive note, the composition works well and so do the dark background an black and white conversion. I also like the catchlight in its eye.

Yes, DOP is very limited with macro lenses. Camera shake is another dilemma. Keywords here are tripod and patience. With the fellas eye turned to you like that, with precision handling and some co-operation from your subject, you could be able to get at least that sharp.

If he would sit real still for a moment, and you're fast enough you can stop down as far as possible to maximize depth of field....

As Steph says, composition is great and I only see the catch light now... Problem is it kinda goes all lost without that critical focus.

I thought the same thing, but I liked the composition and contrast, so I figured id post it. The light is actually his heat light. I was basically upside down inside the tank he is in (55gal for now, hes only 8" including tail) underneath his heat light to take this. I actually have some burns on the tops of my hands from it. haha.

Mark

Most reactions

Back