“Danseur de la Lumière”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he for real? I would say so. Young, 'professional', confident, excited about life, not yet tempered and jaded, workplace that is all about warm fuzzies (at least publicly, I've worked in the church). I'm not surprised as I looked through his website. We have probably all been there to some extent. Unfortunately, reactions like this are often because of a lack of confidence, even if they don't show it. I hope he builds a little more over time.

Either that or an extremely mature attitude. A real grownup just walks away. I wish I was a grownup :(

Maybe he's decided this forum ain't for him, for one of about an infinite number of reasons. Figuring that you "ran him out of town" with your tough critiques is a bit of a leap, even for TPF.

It is not a bit of a leap at all. It isn't even a short hop. Actually, you don't have to move it all. It's right here and evidenced over many, many instances.

I've seen it happen numerous times.

Photographer X comes here, shares their work, expecting praise but what they get is straight talk. Whether it's good, bad, or somewhere in between.

To some people, the truth hurts. Some people are simply not willing to face the truth, or have been so praised in other circles that their self-view is convoluted beyond reconciliation.

So they run the other way as fast as they came.

In today's world of participation trophies and constant coddling it's easy to see why most of photographers in their early 20's get all butthurt about being told they aren't special.

I deal with it all the time. You have some designer thinking they are hot **** because they have never had one single ounce of criticism their entire lives, they show up with **** work, **** attitude, **** work ethic and wonder why they get canned after 2 weeks.

**** 'em, they need to realize the real world isn't their mother's tit.

Just because 10,000 other people did it doesn't mean that this one did.

Also, you're suffering from confirmation bias. Since the received wisdom here is that people flounce off in a huff when they are not coddled and loved, every time someone leaves for any reason he or she tends to get added to your mental count of people who have flounced off in a huff. Sometimes people just decide they don't want to deal with *******s, sometimes they get lives, sometimes they get hit by buses.

Also, you're suffering from confirmation bias. Since the received wisdom here is that people flounce off in a huff when they are not coddled and loved, every time someone leaves for any reason he or she tends to get added to your mental count of people who have flounced off in a huff. Sometimes people just decide they don't want to deal with *******s, sometimes they get lives, sometimes they get hit by buses.

We can only piece together the puzzle from the pieces in front of us.

And the pieces here point to butthurt flounce. And it's happened many times before, and will happen many times again. But you can give him the benefit of the doubt if you want. I don't see any reason why I should.

Well until we impliment some sort of exit poll, we are only able to rely on such evidence.

I am going to go on a limb and make the conclusion based on the evidence, flimsy as it might be, that the OP had a hair across his ass that some had the gall to do anything other than praise their work.

Wow! Haha. Definitely didn't think this thread would get as much attention as it has, especially since I asked for it to be deleted. I'm not even sure where to start. I guess I should start off with the idea that the people on this forum are quite the bunch! You are all so passionate for your photography and it definitely shows! :)

Thank you to everyone who gave my site a visit! It's very much appreciated. :) I hope you liked my work. If not, that's okay. Because the thing about my photography, or anything really, is that I don't do it for any of you… You're praise or your criticism. Haha. Maybe that's where the communication break down came from? Maybe you thought that I posted the photo on here in pursuit of praise or in pursuit of constructive criticism.

I am new here. And from what I thought, this was a community of people who had a passion for the pleasure of photography, who supported fellow photographers, and understood the struggle our camera's press upon us.

I guess this is not the case.

I find Photography to be a very personal and spiritual endeavor. And I think we all do, really. If not, I'm not really sure where all of your passion comes from.

I do forgive everyone whose called me names, implied things about who I am and my work ethic, because of three posts and a edit. That's okay. You don't know me and I don't know you. So I think it's just a matter of moving on. :)

I'm astonished anyone would consider going through the words I have written in my blog to dissect and judge my character. I won't respond to anyone's judgements. If you have any request on what I've meant in anything I've written online, feel free to ask me personally and directly. :)

I do apologize for how long it's taken me to respond. I am quite busy outside of the internet and probably won't have time to even check if there are responses until after next week.

Thank you all and have a fantastic day! :)

Very well response. I believe your photo was wonderful, and I applaud your attitude towards the criticism.

OK. New and a bit unexpected development.
Shawn, we can see you only through your actions, and this are sort of unique. If you didn't want prize or criticism you should say so at the beginning as is the custom of this part of the forum to post comments and discuss the issues. In this thread you became an issue as we didn't know what was so bad in our behavior to make you want to erase the thread. Still don't know.

I don't see why someone can't change their mind for whatever reason and ask to have his/her photo or thread deleted. I said earlier, I think the OP got hardly any constructive criticism or critique for people to infer that the request was made for some of the reasons given. Shawn seems to have handled this in a reasonable and gracious way.

So basically what we have here is someone new with a lot of passion that came into a new situation and didn't check it's nature before putting themselves out there. You don't have to be around long or read much to find that the specific, stated purpose of this forum is to comment and critique images for the sake of improvement (granted, not all posts did that - welcome to the world). When the op got the intent of the forum rather than what they personally wanted, people got in a fluster.

Good advice for us all online and in the real world - read/listen first, understand the bigger picture, then speak.

OK, I'll step down now.....

So basically what we have here is someone new with a lot of passion that came into a new situation and didn't check it's nature before putting themselves out there. You don't have to be around long or read much to find that the specific, stated purpose of this forum is to comment and critique images for the sake of improvement (granted, not all posts did that - welcome to the world). When the op got the intent of the forum rather than what they personally wanted, people got in a fluster.

Good advice for us all online and in the real world - read/listen first, understand the bigger picture, then speak.

OK, I'll step down now.....

I applaud ShawnQuintero's most recent post. I did stop by his blog and looked at a number of entries. He's doing what he likes! Good for him!

Interesting aside,which I highlighted in deeky's post above, in which the concept of, "read/listen first, understand the bigger picture, then speak".

Back in the day when the interwebs was a hodge-podge of BBS,CompuServe,AOL, Usenet discussion groups, and the early,early "web", discussion boards and groups virtually all had a FAQ. One of the single most-common, most widespread, and most-essential commandments of the FAQs was that newbies were to come in, lurk for a while, learn how and what the group was about, who the players were, and what the tenor of the group actually happened to be--and only THEN, to begin participating. That type of behavior, that protocol, was part of what used to be called Nettiquette. It kept newbies from getting butt-hurt. It kept newbies from barging in with one or two days' worth of "familiarity" (cough,cough) and setting themselves up for failure.

Imagine a new player at a 15 year-old Friday night poker game bopping in on his first night, and wanting EVERYBODY to suddenly go along with his desire that EVERYBODY play twos and tens and one-eyed jacks and black queens wild, seven card stud, with a Chicago twist of low Ace in the hole splits the pot...at an established Texas Hold Em game...yeah...butt-hurt.

^^^^ Thumbs up guys.
Plus forum has "Welcomes and Introductions" section, nice place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back