Dark and Gloomy...

PerfectlyFlawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.feliciakelsayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok so i was playing around with my camera, im still learning.. far from professional.lol but i was taking some portraits of a friend.Just having some fun..
Just used what i had.
I like them, however, they are dark because i lost light. How can i fix these.(if i can)..
or bring out the better to these pics??

Feel free to Edit these pictures if you feel necessary. You have my permission.
C&C welcomed as well if youd like.
DSC_0473.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg

Here are a couple more from that "shoot".:lol:
DSC_0469.jpg

DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0479.jpg

Last edited:
Be careful with poses that forshorten legs and thighs.
Very unflattering.

Really? no one wants to contribute? LOL i know its not THAT bad... *sigh*

Well.... My first thoughts were "Dark and Gloomy"? Is that how you say "Underexposed and Blurry"?

They are not good. She seems like a good model (if you can keep her eyes open and hair out of her face); get some time with her in a better light situation and keep a close eye on your focus.

p!nK

Well.... My first thoughts were "Dark and Gloomy"? Is that how you say "Underexposed and Blurry"?

p!nK

+1 They don't create the "Goth" mood

The first few are not worth keeping, but the last isn't bad. Work with that one a little bit.

Ok, as I always mention to people new to posting pics... please number them if you want critique, it helps a lot.

Secondly, if you mention that you like the images it is more difficult to critique them (at least for me) because typically it means that the critique will not be taken well.

Anyway...
1 and 2. underexposed, and white balance is off (towards purple)
3 and 4. white balance is better, but the shadows on the left of the girl are distracting. The other problem with both of these is that the way the legs are posed she look unnaturally shortened.
5. this one is somewhat blurry, and it again has the somewhat distracting shadow on the left.

The strong hard shadow from on camera (I assume) flash is a problem for me too. If you don't have an off camera strobe, try to diffuse your pop up with something, be it a sheet of paper or one of those gimicky gary fong puffer dome things. I was at a friends gig the other day and didn't have a strobe with me when I realized it was too dark, so I made a diffuser/bounce card out of the menu insert and just jammed it into my hotshoe (yayy origami) so my popup would bounce off the roof a bit and be diffused straight forwards.

I guess if you had photoshop you could add a bit more light to fix the dark but be careful not to oversaturate the color...(not sure if it will help but you can try)

Just because I like them * the poses* mainly...doesn't mean I won't handle the C/C,..it was random...and the sun was going down.
So I'm aware they're out of focus..
She liked the shadow..but it kind of bugged me.
The poses were her idea..I'm not sure how to make her NOT look short n stubby in those poses...
And she's all about the hair in her face..lol.

Guess I need to get her to pose again...ill try less hair, more light, and different angles?

And I guess I ment towards the dark pictures "dark--and yes horribly dark"...but gloomy seemed to fit.

Thank you for all the C/C...I know what I need to work on... Retakes! Lol

thats it!! just keep at it... you can do it!! :D

I agree with the others, these really need to be reshot. However you did ask for someone to try to edit your first couple so I had a quick shot at the 2nd. Not much to work with unfortunately, but here it is. I'm no expert, in either discipline! :lol:

46830431.jpg

EDIT: Actually now that I have seen that uploaded, it looks awful. Defintely need a reshoot!:p

I agree with the others, these really need to be reshot. However you did ask for someone to try to edit your first couple so I had a quick shot at the 2nd. Not much to work with unfortunately, but here it is. I'm no expert, in either discipline! :lol:

46830431.jpg

EDIT: Actually now that I have seen that uploaded, it looks awful. Defintely need a reshoot!:p

LOL yeah... thanks for trying though...
First thing, i do know i need to reshoot in better lighting.. I thought the "night modes" on the camera would have done it some justice.. but, No..they sure didnt..lol

I think i may play around with them in PS, but i do plan on retaking them.

:confused: oi vey!

Practice makes perfect though! hehehe.. ill get there eventually.

Most reactions

Back