Dark Digital Photos

RKFrazee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It seems that all of the indoor flash pictures I take with my digital Rebel come out very dark. I can't even view them unless I doctor them up. What am I doing wrong?

i've had that same problem. either have low light or grainy photos. did you try powering up your flash brightness? it helps somewhat. or maybe just a lower aperture speed if you are doing it manually.

Ya know, this is something that was an issue back when the Digital Rebel was new in 2003. A generally effective way to fix it (if you're using the P, Tv, or Av mode) is to set the exposure level a half stop or so over. To do this, press the Av+- button on the back and roll your shutter control back and forth to set it. In manual mode it's not necessary because you decide where the meter is when you take the picture, in which case you can let the meter go over by about the same half stop or so.

Thank you Kent. I think you nailed the work-around solution. I set the camera to the P setting, moved the exposure 1/2 stop, and the improvement was evident. For some reason, I am prohibited from posting attachments. Otherwise, I would show you a "before-and-after shot."

Doc: I appreciate what you are saying. Although my hobby is not photography, but rather Antique Automobiles, I can apply your same condemnations to street-rodders and head banging Honda drivers. Every hobby has its purists.

RF

Another Dig Rebel user here. Yup, the new 03's really did/do underexpose in artificial light a LOT. Like has been said - just use exposure compensation...and become intimate with Photoshop lighting/contrast settings! Also, the program mode works much better than the preset auto stuff (except for landscape when you need a quick setting for everything in focus).

Most reactions

Back