dark object + really bright background?

urameatball

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lawrenceramps.com
Do I HAVE to use a flash?
I regularly shoot random pictures at the local skatepark beside my house and almots everyone wears dark colored t-shirts. background either being the sky or some really reflective white cement on a bright and sunny day.
being a very fast paced sport, I get about a 20second notification (MAX) before some guy does a trick for me so I don't have much time to setup anything. With the canon 10D built in flash, the max shutter speed is WAY too slow to get a nice sharp image, plus the fact that this flash is so harsh that it makes the picture worse.

I want the object to be nice and bright without the background being crazy over exposed. how how how? I would like to get a 'real' flash (ex 420 or the likes) but me no moneys :(.

You might try using a polarizer. That should darken the sky somewhat, maybe enough for your needs. You might also try using exposrue compensation. That may not blow out the highlights quite so bad.

Maybe a combination of the two.

Jim

what about spot metering? ... or center metering?

after a week of testing, I just don't think it's possible... I tried a friend's polarizer and it works a little but it's still not 'up to par'. Spot metering (or the lame excuse for spot metering on the 10D) doesn't help because the background gets blown to hell. Exposure compensation doesn't help much either when the contrast is just SOOO high!

I think I'll just have to get a proper flash for all those people who decide to wear black t-shirts. Those with light color t-shirts get the best outcome :).

so.... does anyone have $200 they can lend me so I can buy a flash?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back