Dark Photos ?

annamel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife takes allot of pictures. When I say allot, I mean allot. 400 or so at the lake in 6 hours. They are always dark. What the heck is the problem. An idiot camera produces better pics than her cannon rebel eos with the new 300 mm lens. Help frustrated husband. Thanks.

Her photos are likely to under exposed or have a really high f/stop. Can you give us the exif data of a "dark" photo so we can asses the issue better?

she may have gotten into the exposure compensation menu by mistake and dial in a - number.

as has been suggested we would need the metadata to be sure.

My wife takes allot of pictures. When I say allot, I mean allot. 400 or so at the lake in 6 hours. They are always dark. What the heck is the problem. An idiot camera produces better pics than her cannon rebel eos with the new 300 mm lens. Help frustrated husband. Thanks.

If she's taking that many shots and they're flash shots, the flash has not had time to recycle.

Could you post some sample images so we can see what they look like?

Do we really need to make this into a thread on grammar? I understand but sometimes people just make mistakes...

When I say allot, I mean allot.

And what you really should say and mean, is, "a lot".

Really? You're going to pick the OP apart for that instead of helping him:confused:

To the OP, a number of things could be causing the dark photos.

As was said, the aperture could be to small(too high of a number). If the lens does not have a very large max aperture and she is shooting in low light, opening it up all the way may not work.

As was said there may be some exposure compensation dialed in without her knowing it.

She could be shooting in manual, and if the shutter speed/aperture/ISO are incorrect or any combination of the 3, she'll get an improper exposure.

Post a photo if you can, and what lens she's using. This would help us diagnose the problem. I have to think it would be VERY frustrating to have ALL your images underexposed.

When I say allot, I mean allot.

And what you really should say and mean, is, "a lot".

Really? You're going to pick the OP apart for that instead of helping him:confused:

To the OP, a number of things could be causing the dark photos.

As was said, the aperture could be to small(too high of a number). If the lens does not have a very large max aperture and she is shooting in low light, opening it up all the way may not work.

As was said there may be some exposure compensation dialed in without her knowing it.

She could be shooting in manual, and if the shutter speed/aperture/ISO are incorrect or any combination of the 3, she'll get an improper exposure.

Post a photo if you can, and what lens she's using. This would help us diagnose the problem. I have to think it would be VERY frustrating to have ALL your images underexposed.

My thoughts exactly on the Bitter Jewler, he is just a rotten forum troll.

Could be exposing for the sky. Seems to happen on water shots where it is very sunny or bright. The water area and everything in and on it can come out dark. Is she shooting landscapes or boats or birds? Depending, she might be able to change the metering mode (matrix [balance the whole scene], center weighted or spot). Pointing the camera more toward the water I believe will bring up the brightness but you'll lose some detail in the sky. Point toward the sky will expose that better but the water will be darker. I'm going to stop now and let people who know better jump in case I have it upside and backwards.

I will say though, as much as we want them to come out of the camera the way we see 'em, she may have to pop into a photo program and "lighten shadows". You'd be amazed at how many dark photos are ok or salvageable when this is done.

Can you post a picture? It will help people to help you.

I think a sample photo will be helpful. Especially if we can see the exif data of the photo.

Thank you for your replies. Here is a photo that was taken labor day. It seems most pics taken outside are dark.
I am having trouble loading the image.
As soon as I find one I will send a link to the Grammar critics forum for the grammar critics out there.

I didn't "pick apart" the OP.
What's wrong with well rounded education?
Heck even I learned something here regarding punctuation, which I am thankful for.

As far as being helpful, there is not enough information given to be helpful. You are all grasping at straws to be helpful.

Annamel, there is a sticky at the top of the forum to help you with posting images.

It says I may not post attachments. As for the rounded education who are you to critique my grammar or anything else. I have been on other forums for some time now and have never came across a pompous *** like you BJ. When I ask you about my grammar then you may reply BJ. Please excuse my tone moderator.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back