Dark skies

yummifruitbat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I thought it was about time I posted some more pics, so having finally finished all my uni work I dug out and spruced up a couple of sunset shots from last year's holiday. Not very seasonal, sorry ;)

P1010149cropwborder_resize.jpg

Thought this one looked sort of like a renaissance painting backdrop:
P1010151cropwborder_resize.jpg

P1010209cropwborder_resize.jpg

Comments, critique, biscuits all gratefully accepted :D

You wanted some!
So I thought.....

(This photo is from the internet. I did not take it. It is from a site on chess-board bisquits).

As to your skies.
The second photo is soooooooooooo full of drama! I really like that!
Have you ever checked out www.neatimage.com?
The demo version (free) could help you get rid of the noise. Unless you WANT the noise.

Wow! I'd never tried NeatImage before but it seems to do a superb job - no I didn't want the noise, but attempts to get rid of it in PS seemed to take away the detail and leave the noise :grumpy:

Thanks for the tip Corinna :D

P1010149cropwborder_filtered_resize.jpg

P1010151cropwborder_filtered_resize.jpg

How's that?

Ooops. My biscuits for you have disappeared. Such a pity. Have you ever seen I gave you the biscuits you wanted?

And I am glad I could help.
Actually we have to say thanks to JonMikal. He pointed me towards NeatImage in the first place.

yummifruitbat said:
Bump? You know, for some constructive criticism now that I've sorted the noise? Please? ;)

In the second collection on my monitor I see some spots where they are over contrasted around the edges. Did you add a lot of contrast to them?

Really cool skies, very dramatic!

I did up the contrast in the first image quite a bit, but only slightly in the second. What do you mean by 'over-contrasted' spots? Do you see them in both versions, or the just the ones with the noise reduction applied? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for... :confused: but thanks for the pointer!

Sorry, a little more detail perhaps. It's most noticable on the first one of both groups. It's at the top, and at the lower right corner. On my monitor it shows up as unnatural flat, dull spots where all detail is lost. looks like someone took black spray paint to my monitor I guess would be the best description. I do like the shots though. Contrast is a tricky thing to play with. I end up using waaay to much myself oftentimes.

You're quite right, I've never noticed that before but when I stood up just now the 'spraypaint' effect was very noticeable from a different viewing angle on the laptop. I don't usually use a TFT and although I've been through a calibration programme, I find it difficult to discern the extreme black levels on my usual Diamondtron. A bit of adjustment required next time I use it, perhaps.

Thanks very much for your comments, you've been really helpful :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back