Dark Spot in Photo

Naicidrac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,
I woke up this morning to take some pictures at different exposures. I am using photomatix to make some neat HDR and tone mapped images. Now my question is that I am getting a dark cirlce in the top left corner of every image. I don't see it in the raw, but after I generate and HDR image and tonemapp it, I can see this dark circle in the same spot of every image. Now I could clone stamp it out, but I would like to know how to get rid of it all together. I am using a new Nikon D80 and new lens. I thought it might be something on the sensor, but it is not a spec, but a cirlce.

Thanks for the help.

do you see the dark circle on the images themselves?...or only after you processed the image?.....it makes a big difference......because it is not very clear in your message......first you stated that you see it on every image....and then you recap saying that you dont see it in raw but only after you process it...........if you are shooting in RAW.....then the RAW image is what you get.....if the RAW image start out with no dark circle....then i would think your camera is okay.....whatever you get after you process on the image is not related to the camera itself....donk link them together

one suggestion......take picture of a plain colored wall at different exposure.....see if you observe the dark circle on any of the exposures......hopefully you dont......if you do at an exposure or two...then it might be something mechanical...lense or sensor

Yes I am sorry for being unclear. When I said I see them in every image it is every image that I have processed with photomatix. I cannot see thie spot on the raw images, but only after I process them.

Here are a couple of images that I took this morning. Now I have tweaked with the levels to try to bring out the dard cirlce. It appears in the top left corner next to the top of the grain tower. It also appears in the same spot in the picture with the back of the trucks.
Matt1.jpg

Matt2.jpg

it does seem to be something on the sensor or the lense....have you checked the lense's front and back?...have you tried taking pictures with another lense to see if you get the same black spots?

Thanks for the help, let me trouble shoot some more and take some picutes with a different lens. That way I will know if it is the lens or the sensor.

Looks like sensor dirt. Clean your sensor (or have someone clean it for you) and/or use the healing tool (or the clone tool) in Photoshop to remove it. It's probably not dust, but a little condensation droplet. That happens if you go from very cold to wamr spaces in a humid environment - like a winter day into an overheated apartment, or a very air-conditioned hotel room on to a Caribbean beach.

I just remove them in Photoshop unless I acumulate too many of them on my sensor, it's not a big deal and they will be there a lot on digital cameras.

Thanks for the help. I just changed lenses and the same spot appears so it must be on the sensor. I have only changed lenses about three times since the camera is very new so I would not think it would be dist. Plus it does not look like dust. Thanks for the help everyone. I might just take the camera to get cleaned processionaly. I live in a very dry climate area, but it has been cold and I come in out of the cold into a hot house. Thanks again for the help.

Are you using any filters? It might be vignetting. That happens if you stack filters.

Otherwise it's probably something on the sensor.

Most reactions

Back