Darkroom at home

Also think about rolling your own film, developer will depend on what film you use and what look you want, Rodinal is cheap works well with most films but is very good

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

About changing bags... Just one more thought. It's still a good idea to at least have one, just in case. Some film (like IR film) must be loaded and unloaded from the camera in darkness, I've found Rollei Retro 400S to be prone to "light piping" if not loaded and unloaded in the dark... It's just good to have one for emergencies... You don't have to get one right away, but it's still a good idea to have it.

I agree. They can be a pain in the arse, but sometimes it's more convenient than sealing up a room, and sometimes you just want that extra assurance that you really are working in darkness.

Another plug for having a changing bag on hand. At home, I can stuff towels under a bathroom doorway and use black tape pretty quickly along the doorframe. I tried the changing bag at home and didn't like it. THEN we were on a road trip and I'd carried some infrared film. I sat on a picnic table at a state park and loaded HIE film using the changing bag, with zero problem. When you have to have one, you have to have one! :) Something to add to your "eventually need" list.

Tried it and got some good results developing some test shots I took around the house!

Here is one I like, of my T body, shot using my EOS. One thing I will say is that when I scanned them in they were a lot more grainy than usual, though it is a nice effect. The tones also arent quite right, but I think thats me not giving the right options to SANE when I scanned the negs. $scan.jpeg

What scanner are you using?

I never liked SANE much... I'm assuming that you're using Linux, since you mentioned SANE. If you have an Epson scanner, download this:
EPSON Download Center

What scanner are you using?
I never liked SANE much... I'm assuming that you're using Linux, since you mentioned SANE. If you have an Epson scanner, download this:
EPSON Download Center

Yeah. its too old (nearly 10 maybe) that its not supported by the proprietary drivers for linux (its a Perfection 1670). I use my ipad and a sheet of paper to make it have DIY negative scanning capability, this usually works for colour negs at the same ISO which I get processed at a lab, with much less grain, though that took me a lot of fine tuning to get the colours like.

May just have bite the bullet and just send them off to ilford for prints/cds still :( (Looking through the loupe, i can see the grain on the film, but the scanner / jpeg has definately multiplied it)

QUOTE=vimwiz;3136021]Tried it and got some good results developing some test shots I took around the house!
\Here is one I like, of my T body, shot using my EOS. One thing I will say is that when I scanned them in they were a lot more grainy than usual, though it is a nice effect. The tones also arent quite right, but I think thats me not giving the right options to SANE when I scanned the negs./QUOTE]

Was that your first film you developed on your own ?

Last edited:
yes, it was the first film I developed on my own.I tried to recreate the same shot again today, had better results the second time round, jerry-rigged a lightbox using my DSLR and a macro lens, enlarged that way, gave better results than the flatbed!

$me.jpg

Can anyone reccomend me (Amazon UK or similar sites) what I need for developing B&W at home? I got a book but i just would like some pointers about chemicals, beakers, tanks etc (AP or Paterson?) and how to do teh fiddly bits like the spool and the spiral.

Also, is doing it in a bathroom practical?

Its just that spending £9 a time getting a roll of XP2 developed (badly) at the local photo lab is becoming a tad expensive, so im looking into developing and scanning at home.

Here are a couple of articles that might help you:

The Online Darkroom: How to develop film
The Online Darkroom: How to make a print

The Online Darkroom

Most reactions

New Topics

Back