Darkroom Books

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by vonnagy, Feb 24, 2004.

1. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Have any of you learned anything about darkrooms from a book? I love learning stuff from books, i am hoping this a viable means of getting started in a darkroom.

What are some good beginners books?

keep in mind that my only idea of what an 'enlarger' is comes from the all the 'male growth' spam I get in my inbox everyday :?

2. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would check out "The Print" by Ansel Adams. He was a master at the entire process from idea to print. If you haven't read The Camera and Negative I would do so.

My wife got this spam the other day .. it said "knock down trees with your gigantic manhood"

3. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

you guys are a mess :LOL:

thinking about a darkroom hey vonnagy? ... do you shoot film? :scratch:

4. vonnagy

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :lmao: and thanks for your book suggestions voodoo.

I've shot film a couple of times, but because i had no control over the processing; that helped convince to go digital at the time. I remember taking a roll of film to 4 developers before i found one that i had liked, then that one developer moved away. At least with digital I had the power to control it.

Now that i've done digi for a little while, I can see some definate advantages to the darkroom especially for b&w medium format stuff - where i want to head in the future. And there is nothing like actually holding the physical print of the image in your hands - I wanna know how to do that ;)

5. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

funny u should mention that vonnagy ... the hubby brought home B&W Photography Magazine today (which is great btw) ... he asked me a serious question (which i never really have the answer for when he's in deep thought :lol: )

... he says, "do u think people will appreciate a digital file 50 yrs from now as oppose to film?" ... now im looking around all nervous cause i know he's already made his mind up and there is no room for debate :lol: ... he goes on to say, "to actually hold something physical in their hand... a hardcopy... can u actually say wheather the digital file is the "original" or not?"

... i said, "well *deep breathe* .. in my uneducated opinion based on no facts, just a guestimate ... no ... i dont think people will appreciate it."

we were talking about galleries and industry people :) ... i wish he'd pose that question here, cause hell if i know :lol: ... perhaps i'll post it here.. u know how "post happy" he is :p

6. vonnagy

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i ask question that too... if you think about it... books were supposed to be replaced in this digital age.. but people will still print them out (and kill trees :))or buy the hard copies from amazon. Personally i think having something tangible is what people value.

It maybe that printing photos will eventually be so good that it will replace darkroom prints - but thats from a digital file that can easily be cloned and reproduced... I don't know if people would consider printing digital files the same as developing them in the darkroom.

When I went back to the states, i found this print of my my viennese grandmother taken by my father absolutely buried beneath a pile of photos:
    [​IMG]
    The 'hard' print is what i cherish, not the digital. Even if i were to print this out, it doesn't have the same immediacy of developed print. When I hold this print I can see the twinkle in her eyes as if she was there - there's magic in it. It might be there in digital but not nearly the same level as the physical copy.

Sorry I am being a bit whimsical here. back on track.. anybody got any other good darkroom books to recommend? ;)

7. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As mentioned before: Adam's wrote the holy trilogy of film photography "The Camera", "The Negative", and "The Print". Every serious amateur/pro should study these sometime.

An easier to read warm-up though, would be Henry Horenstein's books "Black and White Photography: a basic manual" and "Beyond Basic Photography". Horenstein also has a book on color photography that's great.