Darkroom on a budget…

OramasAlexander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wondering what would be the things you’d recommend somebody to get to make their own dark room on a budget?

Last edited:
Just wondering what would be the things you’d recommend somebody to get to make their own light room on a budget?

Well for starters a light room is not going to be very effective to print analog photos.

For anyone to really be of much help your going to need to give more info like what your budget is, how big of prints would you like to make, what format film you are shooting.

He shoots MF and probably 35mm too (cameras in his signature). ;)

You can get enlargers very cheaply online, and if you don't think you will venture beyond MF, then you will want to make sure you can put the appropriate lenses for both formats , and just switch them out as needed. You will have to spend money on lenses and an enlarger, at least one safelight, plus a developing tank and reels. Things like chemistry trays, graduates, tongs, can be purchased very inexpensively or swapped out with kitchen tools (just dedicate them for darkroom use!!). Check out places like ebay, but if you don't know what you're buying, be careful. If there is a local camera supply store or even college with a darkroom, you could find somebody to talk to who might be able to point you in the right direction.

The enlarger and lenses will be the most expensive item.

Beseler 67's are fairly cheap.

What black and white developer would you recommend?

for film developing, or making prints?

I have a great enlarger you can have free 4x5 lenses included the rub is you have to pick it up ...I am near Charlotte NC. I have other misc such as film reels processing tanks, timer, easel and more I would give those away also.

That’s pretty far from central Florida .-.

I repeat this question!

for film developing, or making prints?

As for
For Developing (both B&W and Color)
Color film developing is not hard it is just much more temperature sensitive. What I ended up doing to control the temperate is I got a digital aquarium heater system. It has and put it in a tub of water that I use as a temperature controlled bath that I put my bottles of chemicals in to regulate the temperature.

Do you mean just to develop film, or to print as well.

Different chemistry for each , HC110 would be my recommendation for film, as it is a one shot developer. Printing black and white. LPD. Has a long shelve life

Stop bath, can be the same for either, just a different ratio as well as fixer.

Color is a bit more tricky , as color the above already mentions temperature control being critical.

Printing takes different filters than black and white, or a color head, and work has to be done in complete darkness not under safe light.

If your going to just scan your negatives, things will be easier and cheaper. As to develop a roll of black and white film cost pennies when you do it yourself.

Watch Craigslist for bargains locally. I just got a couple of safelights, Patterson tanks, Unicolor tank, about 20 rolls of film (35mmT Max), 150 sheets of VC 8X10 paper, trays, thermometers, and film washer. The total cost was $10 but I gave him $20 so I didn't feel guilty. That was all I had at the moment. I needed another safelight and thought an extra thermometer would be nice. I got 5 dial thermometers in the deal. There are many iexpensive ways to get into this hobby.

I got a D-5 on ebay for about $100 and spent another $150 on shipping, (which was a steal on the shipping). Once I got it home and put together there was definitely damage during shipping, as it was mostly wrapped in towelsbut it held together well enough. A week later after seeing what an enlarger was he picked up a D-3 in near mint condition for $20. I pick and choose what lab equipment to buy on ebay, it seems the prices fluctuate wildly, so if your not in a hurry the deals are out there. :)

I used adorama.com. They have a nice kit that comes with a developing tank, trays, tongs, a timer, a red light, squeegee, manuals, etc. I think it was around $60. All you need is chemicals, and a dark bag (only if you want one), and you will be set. As for printing, enlargers aren't usually cheap, depending on how good the quality is.

Most reactions

Back