Darkroom Question.

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by Stan_, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Stan_

Stan_ TPF Noob!

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a really dumb question but being unable to have a true darkroom i am setting up equipment in a normal small room. I only plan to develop at night but my question is will night light interfere with processing if I just have a material curtain covering the window or do i need to truly black out the window ?

Also would a tiny LED also affect developing if there was one in the background when using a safe red light ?

Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask and i thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Thanks,

Stan

2. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    it will most likely interfere. stand in the dark room for 5 minutes then hold your hand in front of your face. if you can see it, you have too much ambient light.

no; i use them often. as always, use in moderation.

3. enigma

enigma TPF Noob!

if you are doing B&W, I think you will be ok, color is different though. I would do a test. Put an object (coin. or somthing) on some of your photo paper, leave it there for about 5-10min. Run paper through chemicals. See if you can tell where your cion was. If not, your fine, if you can see the outline, you will need a darker room. This is that same thing you would do to see if your safe light is really safe.

4. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    well, the use of a red safe light indicates b&w as color requires zero light.

paper tests aren't very accurate as manufacturer's papers vary from batch to batch and overall they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

5. enigma

enigma TPF Noob!

zero light??? I have a amber safe light. For color it is VERY dim, but you do not need zero light, unless you are going to use trays I guess.

Also, You will never get it perfect, so for me a paper test is much better than nothing at all. Complect darkness would be ideal, but I find that a a tiny bit does very little harm.

I guess it all depends on personal standards. any light will cause fog, but it is all about what you can see in the final print.

6. paul rond

paul rond TPF Noob!

You can leave a blank sheet of paper on the easel for a minute then develope it normally to see if you are getting any fog. If you aren't getting fog, it OK. I have duct tape on all my chargers, power strips and gizmos with LEDs. Even had to block off the time on a VCR with cardboard.