Darwinism - photo as a finished product

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by matthew robertson, Dec 7, 2004.

1. matthew robertson

matthew robertson TPF Noob!

Here's my first-and-only attempt at building a quotation and frame into an image. It's intended for printing at 8x10 or 16x20, depending on how I feel about it after a sober second thought. Give it to me straight, doctor, I can take it.

[​IMG]

While I didn't recall the specific wording, the quotation from Charles Darwin was what I was thinking of as I took this shot. It reads "In my simplicity, I remember wondering why every gentleman did not become an ornithologist." I was initially struck by the graffiti with the glasses and tie, which made me think of a Gentleman, and an ornithologist, of course, is a Birdwatcher.

2. CAS

CAS TPF Noob!

I'm new to this, but I think it's a great shot, I can't see anything I would change, I even like the shadow around the pic.

3. Picksure

Picksure TPF Noob!

60+ views and only one response?

Must be better than I even think it is.

If I had to critique, I would just crop or clone out the Timmys cup.

4. Maven

Maven TPF Noob!

Great eye Picksure. I would do the same. I love the shadows and the contrast on this. It reminds me more of a painting than a photograph. Did you PS this at all?

5. Picksure

Picksure TPF Noob!

Maven, I see Windsor Ont as your location. You should be able to spot a Timmys cup from miles away :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Maven

Maven TPF Noob!

Yes, I should shouldn't I :|

7. CAS

CAS TPF Noob!

If a timmy's cup is the red thing at the bottom right, I like it. It gives you a splash of red at all four corners of the shot. Did you PS the birds in or just get real lucky?

8. Picksure

Picksure TPF Noob!

The "cup" could be left in for the "Canadian" look. :wink:

9. matthew robertson

matthew robertson TPF Noob!

Good eye Picksure, and I was stunned to see that you're also from Ontario. Completely shocked.

This is a crappy excuse for a reason, but I've left the coffee cup in because I like the way the reflection looks in the full-size image. I know, it's not fair to use a defense that only I have seen. I like it for the depth it provides, since everything else looks a little flat. Besides - how clean can an alleyway be, even in Toronto?

Well... nothing has been added to the image. I've done a lot of work to optimize an opportunistic shot (read: bad), but the graffiti actually looks very close to the real thing. I've also removed a lot of clutter and distractions.

CAS, I'm just lucky. I spotted the graffiti just a second or two before the pigeons walked past, and grabbed this shot with whatever settings were on the camera. I did several follow-up exposures, but none of them had the birds in the right place. Pigeons in this city aren't worried about people, and walk everywhere. (I hate those birds.)

If I have a serious lapse of judgment, maybe I'll post the original file.

10. Peach Comma

Peach Comma TPF Noob!

I like the picture quite a bit except for the shadow coming down onto the doors and I wouldn't mind that if the door frame was visible. I don't like the added shadow and framing too much though.

11. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Isnt that sacraligious? :0)

12. Maven

Maven TPF Noob!

hehe, sure would be. I change my vote, the cup stays damnit. ~goes to Tims like a good little drone~