Darwinism - photo as a finished product

matthew robertson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
robertsonphoto.blogspot.com
Here's my first-and-only attempt at building a quotation and frame into an image. It's intended for printing at 8x10 or 16x20, depending on how I feel about it after a sober second thought. Give it to me straight, doctor, I can take it.

Darwinism.jpg

While I didn't recall the specific wording, the quotation from Charles Darwin was what I was thinking of as I took this shot. It reads "In my simplicity, I remember wondering why every gentleman did not become an ornithologist." I was initially struck by the graffiti with the glasses and tie, which made me think of a Gentleman, and an ornithologist, of course, is a Birdwatcher.

I'm new to this, but I think it's a great shot, I can't see anything I would change, I even like the shadow around the pic.

60+ views and only one response?

Must be better than I even think it is.

If I had to critique, I would just crop or clone out the Timmys cup.

Maven said:
Great eye Picksure.

Maven, I see Windsor Ont as your location. You should be able to spot a Timmys cup from miles away :lol: :lol: :lol:

If a timmy's cup is the red thing at the bottom right, I like it. It gives you a splash of red at all four corners of the shot. Did you PS the birds in or just get real lucky?

The "cup" could be left in for the "Canadian" look. :wink:

Good eye Picksure, and I was stunned to see that you're also from Ontario. Completely shocked.

This is a crappy excuse for a reason, but I've left the coffee cup in because I like the way the reflection looks in the full-size image. I know, it's not fair to use a defense that only I have seen. I like it for the depth it provides, since everything else looks a little flat. Besides - how clean can an alleyway be, even in Toronto?

Maven said:
It reminds me more of a painting than a photograph. Did you PS this at all?

Well... nothing has been added to the image. I've done a lot of work to optimize an opportunistic shot (read: bad), but the graffiti actually looks very close to the real thing. I've also removed a lot of clutter and distractions.

CAS, I'm just lucky. I spotted the graffiti just a second or two before the pigeons walked past, and grabbed this shot with whatever settings were on the camera. I did several follow-up exposures, but none of them had the birds in the right place. Pigeons in this city aren't worried about people, and walk everywhere. (I hate those birds.)

If I have a serious lapse of judgment, maybe I'll post the original file.

Picksure said:
If I had to critique, I would just crop or clone out the Timmys cup.

Isnt that sacraligious? :0)

Maybe you could enlarge the cup and then sell it to timmies to use for marketing. :0) Maybe add a half eaten bread bowl.

i get the feeling that this is the spawn of pure genius. you waited too long to profundicate. publish your opinions, about everything.

-donald henderson
http://www.imagener.com

matthew robertson said:
Here's my first-and-only attempt at building a quotation and frame into an image. It's intended for printing at 8x10 or 16x20, depending on how I feel about it after a sober second thought. Give it to me straight, doctor, I can take it.

Darwinism.jpg

While I didn't recall the specific wording, the quotation from Charles Darwin was what I was thinking of as I took this shot. It reads "In my simplicity, I remember wondering why every gentleman did not become an ornithologist." I was initially struck by the graffiti with the glasses and tie, which made me think of a Gentleman, and an ornithologist, of course, is a Birdwatcher.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back