Data Storage question

Have you stored RAW files on an iPod?

TBH: no. Because it was 3 to 5 years ago (I used a third generation iPod) and I didn't yet shoot RAW (not many people yet did, then). So I don't really know if iPods will store RAWs.

But that was when photo memory cards were still screamingly expensive. With todays prices (and card sizes) I can afford to have 36 Gigs with me. More than enough for 3 weeks in the Amazon, or Antarctica. And flash solid state memory is far and away a much, much more reliable and safer storage method than mechanical spinning harddisks (like the iPod has got) are.

So no portable photo storage devices for me anymore these days. Solid State memory all the way.

And should you take your laptop on a trip, then you can also burn your photos onto DVDs (and send them home using snail mail?). OR – if you have access to broadband en-route – you can send your photos home, to your own email address, through Podmailing.com (FREE, unlimited file size). Very safe! So even if your gear is lost, stolen, or impounded by shifty authorities, your irreplaceable photos will be waiting for you at home!
(And you can empty and re-use your cards again. And again. And again).

Maybe the best bet would be to get a few more memory cards and while away burn some cd's just for back up

I would go with memory cards too. I guess you're dealing with CF cards? For cheep ones I like A-Data. Their "Speedy" cards work out to 80x and 8gig cards go for about $35 or $40 now? I think that's the ideal solution for a country like Vietnam where you might be in a location where thieves are looking for people with gadgets to rip like iPods and Display-Drives.

I like A-Data cuz they're the cheapest ones I've tested on mass. I teach and we supply 4gig "Speedy" A-Data cards to the students as part of the course materials. 4 years at 120 kids a year and no errors so far. Of course new cards each year and I think the first year I used cards they weren't called "Speedy" nor were they 4gigs. Still, I guess that's a pretty good record.

Cheap, lightweight, minimal thief-appeal.

If you have the budget I'd say go for an Archos over an iPod. More versatile and less DRM-ish.

I would go with memory cards too. I guess you're dealing with CF cards? For cheep ones I like A-Data. Their "Speedy" cards work out to 80x and 8gig cards go for about $35 or $40 now? I think that's the ideal solution for a country like Vietnam where you might be in a location where thieves are looking for people with gadgets to rip like iPods and Display-Drives.

I like A-Data cuz they're the cheapest ones I've tested on mass. I teach and we supply 4gig "Speedy" A-Data cards to the students as part of the course materials. 4 years at 120 kids a year and no errors so far. Of course new cards each year and I think the first year I used cards they weren't called "Speedy" nor were they 4gigs. Still, I guess that's a pretty good record.

Cheap, lightweight, minimal thief-appeal.

SD
I will see if we have any A-Data gear over here.
I have noticed over the past week or so that I cant buy SD cards online from the U.S. Amazon don't ship them to Aus and Adorama are charging $42 shipping on a $9 SD card.

Other than a small rugged hard drive I would suggest burning the files to DVD's. They won't take up much space at all.

Most reactions

Back