Dating and identifying cameras

Orionwerks were formed in 1921 from Bülter & Stammer and went into liquidation around 1933. TThey were better known for their Rio plate cameras, mostly 9x12's which were well made and often sold with high end lenses.

Your camera prossibly has a slider below the front hinge that allows the whole lens, shutter, bellows, focus assembly to be pulled out as a block. If not the the back should slide apart sideways, maybe that's the lock on the side in the 3rd picture.

Ian

Thank you Ian, that was most helpful. With your help I was able to find an example of another similar camera that showing how to open it. Until today we hadn't been able to figure it out.
I'm afraid it's not in very good condition, it's a bit rusty on the inside here and there.

Do you have any idea which model camera we have ?

Thanks again for the help
regards Sue.

Un fortunately Sue I've little or no information on Orionwerk cameras despite owning a very nice Rio 9x12 camera. They don't seem to have been imported into the UK so I've no references to them in my Almanacs from the 1920's & 30's.

It might be possible to clean up the rust in your camera but a lot depends where it is.

Ian

Ok thanks anyway.
I have been trawling the Internet for more info but keep drawing a blank. I can find lots of cameras from the same company but not one the same as the camera we have. At least we know more now than we did in the beginning.

About the rust, I don't think we are confident enough to clean it up.

Anyway thanks again may be some more info will crop up in the future , you never know.
Sue

Last edited:
I'm familiar with other German cameras; I just got a 'folder' that looks similar to your camera. It seems to me that early 20th century German made cameras weren't common in the US; I haven't found much info. about specific cameras (like mine) from that era.

I did a brief search and found mention of a Periskop lens by Steinheil. Often the lens & shutter assembly was manufactured by a different company than the body. If it is a Steinheil or a lens by one of the other German companies it could be an excellent lens. I have a camera w/a Zeiss Teleskop lens (another good German brand) so it could be that more than one company made lenses using similar names.

I also ran across mention of the Orionwerk cameras on the site I linked below; I've used the site before but as you'll see it's not in English and my high school French only gets me so far! Yours looks to me most like the 79 or the 82(A). As best I can tell, it says the majority of models used the common name Rio, with a letter that indicates the format of the apparatus (size of the negative produced by the camera - presumably on 120 film) -
A is 4.5 x 6 cm, B is 5 x7.5, C is 6 x 9 cm, and D is 6.5 x 11 (which is a fairly large negative for a rollfilm camera).
I noticed your camera has a 5 and a 7 on it but I don't know if that indicates the film/negative size or not; it might for that model with that shutter and lens assembly. It could be that your particular camera model wasn't marketed in France or Europe and was maybe just sold in Germany, and that only a certain number were made with the Periskop.

I got an antique camera that has some rust on what I think is an aluminum interior (it looks like the inside of a tin can!). I haven't taken pictures with mine but expect the rust won't keep it from being usable although in a less antique camera I'd be more likely not to buy one with rust. The older the camera the more likely I'll just leave well enough alone. To clean/dust it I usually use a small soft brush made to clean lenses, or gently wipe w/a microfiber cloth (breathing on the lens to keep dry particles from scratching the lens).

If it seems to be in working order I'd probably try some film in it and see how it turns out.

Sharon

edit - There used to be a camera guide by Mckeown but it seems like the last edition was several years ago and I don't think it's in print any longer; maybe you could find a copy at the library?

Last edited:
I just inherited a camera from my grandpa and would like to know a little more about it (I'm a total newbie to photography, so be gentle). Googling has led me to believe it's a Zeiss Contaflex I, but I don't have any information as far as a possible date/age or anything like that. Sorry for the bad photos, I'm stuck with just my phone right now.

$2013-08-28232030.jpg

the inside of the lens is inscribed: ‘Tessar 1:28 f=45mm Carl Zeiss Nr 1377640’, with SYNCHRO-COMPUR etched into the metal on the outside of one of the dials.
$2013-08-28231912.jpg

The Zeiss logo on the back cover. Below reads MADE IN GERMANY STUTTGART

$2013-08-28232102.jpg

this is the only number of any kind I could find anywhere on the body, so I guess it's the serial number? It's on the bottom right hand side (as you hold the camera to shoot) and reads 'G 3911'.

$2013-08-28 23.24.01.jpg

Anyone have any idea how old this thing could possibly be, and where I might be able to find a manual? I'd like to give it a try but I have no idea what I'm doing.

eta: the Zeiss lens SN list earlier in the thread puts this at 1932, but is that for every single lens made by zeiss regardless of type? and is there a list floating out there for the bodies?

Last edited:
Your Contaflex was made in the 1950s. A manual is easy to find via Google.

I have a Contaflex, I got it at an area camera store that was going out of business. Something jammed and I was thinking it might only be good for parts but for some unknown reason when I got it out not too long ago the shutter was releasing OK again. I've read that they can be temperamental...

It's basically an early SLR that didn't yet have interchangeable lenses. Mine is the #I - same model as yours it looks like. I think it was made starting in '53 but don't know offhand for how long or when model II was made, and I haven't run across anything on the serial numbers.

There is a Teleskop attachment which was a forerunner of telephoto lenses; I finally found one with the bracket that's needed to attach it to the front of the camera. Zeiss has been known for their lenses so you could probably get some nice photos with it. (edit - In general I tend to find a camera can work better at faster shutter speeds rather than slow or bulb settings so I usually don't use the slower speeds, but it depends I think on the camera's age and condition, and that's just my experience YMMV.)

You may have already found these sites, they're ones I've used as resources and both have links to Mike Butkus' website of old manuals (he buys and scans them and you can make a contribution for a copy if you want).
contaflex I
Zeiss Ikon Contaflex I

If you're completely new to film you might want to look at Film Photography Project | An Internet Radio Show & On-Line Resource for Film Shooters Worldwide - they have at least one video on how to load film for people who have never used a film camera before, and they have a fairly active Flickr discussion group if you have questions.

Last edited:
I recently found this kodak home-field kit but i can't find much information at all on it so i thought looking here might help. here are a few pictures.
$277.jpg$279.jpg$265.jpg$266.jpg$270.jpg$272.jpg$275.jpg$279.jpg

That box was made for the US Army/Navy Signal Corp. in 1943 for developing/printing in the field.
Came with a custom Army/Navy labelled Kodak 35 camera kit.

I once dated a Miranda.

If you set the shutter speed to 1/5000th is that "Speed Dating?" :lmao:

Most reactions

Back