David Bailey - Black Frames

Discussion in 'Alternative Techniques & Photo Gallery' started by lewismalpas, Oct 26, 2014.

1. D-B-J

D-B-J Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I definitely agree that that's a solid idea in theory, but what about in practice? I shoot more loosely than you suggest above, but for a reason. I want to be able to crop for a specific print size exactly how I want. If I were to shoot it right in camera, I'd be severely limited in how I could crop the prints. But I should also add that I rarely if ever crop to a proper ratio. I crop to what I feel is appropriate for the photo. So maybe I just do it all "wrong," so take my points with a grain of salt.

Jake

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

When I was shooting news, if it wasn't right in the camera, I didn't print it.

Then and now I print with wide borders to accommodate the differences in aspect ratios between film and paper. With digital printing I print through DTP. I use multiple borders with different widths which accommodate the differences between cropped and un-cropped aspect ratios between image and paper.

Gary

3. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Because when this was taken there was no digital or photoshop

4. photoguy99

photoguy99 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Faking it in a wet darkroom is trivial.

5. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I remember some prints made with the sprocket holes showing.

6. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

I think printing the sprocket holes can be a bit distracting.

7. lewismalpas

lewismalpas TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi,

Many thanks for all of your replies, very helpful. Whilst I wouldn't want to add the black borders to all of my images I do quite like the effect on certain images.

Best,
    Lewis.

8. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Thankfully, that seems to have gone out of fashion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not hard to do on a scanner. Most film holders will cover the sprocket holes, but some don't. I can see the point if the image goes beyond where the edge of the frame would normally be (so the sprocket holes are actually "in" the image), but even then I find it distracting too.

Scanning with the borders showing is not hard though. In fact, all of my scans are like that before I do any cropping. I do like to crop it pretty close to the edges though, just in case I want to do a different crop later - to maximize my cropping options.

You see it a lot in the film groups on Flickr. And of course instagrammed shots all have the same Fuji Velvia markings on them, lol. Personally, I don't like seeing the edges or the film markings on a finished product.

10. qleak

qleak No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I remember when I brought some steve gullick photos of nirvana to a photography class and my instructor explained to me the filing out of the enlarger boards. I simultaneously thought that was a good idea and realized I'm a little bit of a photo snob lol

For those of you aspiring rock and roll photographers here's his website www.gullickphoto.com

[​IMG]

11. timor

timor Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You don't fake things in the wet darkroom, all you do is real and cost you money. Computer fakes things, you can fake such a borders in photoshop.
    Black borders not necessarily are only around prints of full negatives. One can have black border around any print of any part of a negative. No need for damaging the carriers.
    Black borders and "sloppy" burning and dogging were also sort of photographic mannerism in 60 and 70 era. The picture OP is linking has all the hallmarks of that.

12. photoguy99

photoguy99 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I'm pretty well acquainted with the wet darkroom. I'm not sure where my meaning became unclear to you, but I thought it was obvious that what I mean was:

One can trivially create the look of a filed out negative carrier, in a wet darkroom, without filing out a negative carrier. It's perhaps not quite as easy as just filing out a negative carrier, but it's certainly not hard.

This is a statement I stand by.