DPP_0021.jpg

DPP_0012.jpg

DPP_0017.jpg

DPP_0027.jpg

DPP_0055.jpg

DPP_0064.jpg

DPP_0065.jpg

Great captures.
Nr.4 is my fav..lovely colours and great reflection.

I think firstly you are getting some exposure problems - if you look at shots 2 and 7 you can clearly see where the sky is overexposing and going white as you try to expose for the much darker ground. I would suggest when shooting in these conditions 2 things.

1 ) you could try for fill flash - even with the popup with some toilet paper folds held infront to diffuse the light - this would brighten the land infront of you and thus let you expose better for the brighter skies. Of course this has a limited range of effect and won't work in larger landscape type shots well - just too much land to lighten

2) you could use a filter - ND grad I think would be the right sort, but I have little experience of these so will let another fill you in better on their details. The upshot is that they would graduate the light - so that you could have a brighter base and darker sky - ie it lets in less light from the sky.

Also there is a softness to quite a few of these shots - partly this could be down to compression for websized images. Looking at the exifs for the shots (the 4th) your shutter speed was 1/320 which is plenty fast enough and did give you a good result- though the last shot was at 1/30sec and is noticably soft overall. I would suggest getting yourself a tripod (even a cheapy one for now) to shoot from or a monopod for some added support (and a walking stick the rest of the time ;)) at that would help you shoot with a slower shutter speed and mean that you don't have to boost you ISO to high - noisy - values.

I do like the compositions you are using here and I think you have a good eye for composing a shot - you need some jsut techincal improvment to let you fully realise and get the best you can :)

Thanks guys. This was my first day ever using a camera, I didn't have a tripod at this point... had no clue what the buttons meant. So, now I have a decent feel for the camera (and the fact I have a tripod) I think I would like to go reshoot some of these.

Overread, thanks a lot for your input. I'm just starting to learn, and will take any and all suggestions available.

I really love #5 I think overall that is my favorite. But I also like 4,6,7 too. 1-3 seem too bright, but like you said this was the first time you had used the camera. Wow if this was your first time, especially with your other thread you are now my hero!
You are doing a great job, and there is obvious progression through your photos. Keep up the good work.

Most reactions

Back