Day Light?

soul dog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have another shoot coming up. I was wondering what is the best time of the day to get the most light? I've heard the early mornings, and late afternoon. Is there any specific time frame for these? I'm using just my cam and possibly a tripod, no reflectors, or off cam flash.

The most light or the best light? There is quite a difference between those two.

The softest and kindest light is early morning just before and after sunrise and late evening just before and after sunset. During these times the light is soft and diffuse.

The most light you will get round noon, but this light is harsh and creates lots of (unwanted) shadows.
You can shoot during the day, but preferably in the shade using reflectors.

The most light or the best light? There is quite a difference between those two.

The softest and kindest light is early morning just before and after sunrise and late evening just before and after sunset. During these times the light is soft and diffuse.

The most light you will get round noon, but this light is harsh and creates lots of (unwanted) shadows.
You can shoot during the day, but preferably in the shade using reflectors.
I suppose I mean the best light. I want to schedule my model in the afternoon, and I want to know the best time to start shooting.
The last time I started around maybe 4 or 5 o'clock. I just wanted to know was I doing right.

Depending what time the sun sets where you live and depending on your shooting time, you might want to spread your odds. If you have two hours and the sun sets at 7, then start at 5.

Shoot around 500 to 8. Why?

At 5 you can put someone under a tree and shoot in the shadows with a shutter speed over 1/60

Anything below 1/60 when your camera is being hand held will produce more blurry pictures.

At 7 or a little later, there is less sun, so, when you put your model under the tree and shoot in the shade you'll have a problem with getting shutter speeds of around 1/60 and below.

SO my advice is when it's around 5 6 and close to seven use the shade and your shutter speed will be fine.

Once it hits seven use the soft diffused light. You might be able to com out of the shadows.

I suppose I mean the best light. I want to schedule my model in the afternoon, and I want to know the best time to start shooting.
The last time I started around maybe 4 or 5 o'clock. I just wanted to know was I doing right.
The clock time varies through out the year and depends on your latitude, but in the morning the light is usually a little cooler (bluer) than it is in the afternoon because there isn't as much particulate matter in the atmosphere.

For a morning shoot I want to be set up and ready to start shooting at least 30 minutes before local sunrise and figure to continue shooting for about 45 minutes after sunrise. There is usually much less chance of wind in the morning, but a greater chance of thunder showers this time of year.

For an afternoon shoot I want to be setup and ready to shoot about 75 minutes before local sunset and plan to continue shooting till about 20 minutes after sunset. Wind can often be a problem with afternoon shoots.

Local sunrise and sunset depend on the terrain/trees/buildings east of (morning) and west of (afternoon) the shoot location and are not the normally published times, which is why a location needs to be scouted.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back