Day to day film and dev questions

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by Hair Bear, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Hair Bear

Hair Bear TPF Noob!

So I can't afford digital and not really sure I want to and that leaves me with my trusty Nikon F601 and what film to put in it

Do you have any suggestions as I'm starting ti get the feeling that just buy Kodak or Fuji might not be the best way to go.

And what of developing? Currently I get them done a Snappy Snaps and scanned hi res on to CD so I can share on here etc.

What do you guys do with your negs?

2. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    B&W: process myself.
    Color neg: local drug store, & CD.
    Color slide: mail order lab.

3. Hair Bear

Hair Bear TPF Noob!

What sort of size file do you get by the local store and how do you get your own negs scanned

4. fightheheathens

fightheheathens TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    fugi velvia slide film is the best film out there.

5. Hair Bear

Hair Bear TPF Noob!

CAn you dev your own?

6. niccig

niccig TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can develop your own color slide film at home, but I've heard that it's actually more expensive unless you shoot a large amount of film. Though I don't know the full truth of this, since I don't develop/print my slide film. What I do with my film:

B&W: develop and print my own
    Color neg: Rarely use it. Take it to WalMart for development since it's only used for snapshots
    Color slide: Take it to the only lab in town that does E6 processing for development - even though mail order is way cheaper, the lab can do it in two hours and I like to support the local lab when I can
    All: Scan on my Canon CanoScan 8600f for posting here and on my webpage

As for what kind of film, it all depends on what you like to use and the subjects you tend to shoot. The Nikonians forum has a pretty good run-down on choosing film: http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/jrp_faq/jrp_faq_what_film/faq_what_film_to_use.html
    (I think it takes you to a page if you're not a member that explains the benefits of joining the forum, but there is a link to continue without registering)

Personally, I prefer traditional black & white film over anything else, and for color, I like slide film better than negative film - the overall quality just seems better to me. Different films have their own characteristics. If you tell us what you like to shoot we may be able to give more specific recommendations.

7. niccig

niccig TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    BTW, Fuji and Kodak are great film brands, but there are definitely quality differences between their consumer print films and pro slide films. For b&w, I use Ilford.