DC - Spring 2018 TPF Meet 4/6-4/8

Which weekend to meet in DC? More than one choice is allowed. Please choose all that work for you.

• March 2-4

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • March 9-11

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Mar 30-Apr 1

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Apr 6-8

• Apr 13-15

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alright, since it seems obvious that no one else wants to make it for me, I'm making a decision for myself. I'm going to plan on 4/6 - 4/8. I have cousins in the area (Alexandria) and will spend some time with them (during mid day harsh light, lol) but would love to meet up with any TPF'rs who will be in the area that weekend. I'm most likely going to fly in early Friday morning and head home Sunday after dinner. Those familiar with the area, let me know what days/times/sights would be good for photo meets and I'll be there. I was in DC a few years ago but it was with the family and I didn't get a lot of photo time. I definitely want some dawn and nighttime shots of the monuments and would love to visit Arlington Cemetery. Would like to also plan a lunch or drinks and apps with everyone if anyone is interested in that. Not sure yet if I'll be staying downtown or outside the city.

I would love to do this; had a ball on the first TPF meet up in DC, many moons ago! I agree with those dates as being warmer, and some things should be blooming then. I think just outside of town is significantly cheaper, hotel wise.

I just can't commit yet, unfortunately. Will let you know.

I was just getting ready to reply that I couldn't do the March 9th weekend (I'm in Austin March 4-10) but I can do the April weekend--hurray!

OK, you want botanic gardens, I got your stinking botanic gardens...and then some! I also agree with the US Botanical Garden--very cool. A central room that is a rainforest (humid enough at times you need a microfibre cloth to get condensation off of your lens). Side chambers with orchids, desert, woodland flora. They also have tripod permits. A great place to shoot--been there many times with my camera. National Arboretum--tons of Azealeas and cherry trees so early April is a grand time to be there. Also, Green Springs Park in Fairfax, VA--lots of flowers, trees, a greenhouse plus you're within 2 miles of about 30 great Korean restaurants and a few good Thai ones as well. Dumbarton Oaks is a grand old house plus a lovely garden--it's in DC near Georgetown and also Woodrow Wilson's House (which has some lovely flowers in the back garden). Definitely check out the Tulip Library (north side of the Tidal Basin, near the Jefferson Memorial)...over 100 tips of tulips and they'll be in bloom early April. And a great park photographically (but so-so for a botanical garden) is Meridian Park in DC (16th NW and W st.). They have a drum circle, kites, old gates, and a lovely set of fountains that feed water downhill from one to the next and so on--maybe the best park in DC to photograph.

Finally, the official forecast of peak blossoms will be made by the NPS on March 1st. But given our very cold winter, I think there is a decent chance we'll have cherry blossoms up in plentiful amounts on the Tidal Basin come that weekend. It's spectacular (photo of the Tidal Basin with the Jefferson Memorial in the background).
CB-11.jpg

I'll be here on both weekends. I'm always here (unless I'm in Maine).

I would love to do this; had a ball on the first TPF meet up in DC, many moons ago! I agree with those dates as being warmer, and some things should be blooming then. I think just outside of town is significantly cheaper, hotel wise.

I just can't commit yet, unfortunately. Will let you know.

I'm penciling you in, in pen.

I was just getting ready to reply that I couldn't do the March 9th weekend (I'm in Austin March 4-10) but I can do the April weekend--hurray!

OK, you want botanic gardens, I got your stinking botanic gardens...and then some! I also agree with the US Botanical Garden--very cool. A central room that is a rainforest (humid enough at times you need a microfibre cloth to get condensation off of your lens). Side chambers with orchids, desert, woodland flora. They also have tripod permits. A great place to shoot--been there many times with my camera. National Arboretum--tons of Azealeas and cherry trees so early April is a grand time to be there. Also, Green Springs Park in Fairfax, VA--lots of flowers, trees, a greenhouse plus you're within 2 miles of about 30 great Korean restaurants and a few good Thai ones as well. Dumbarton Oaks is a grand old house plus a lovely garden--it's in DC near Georgetown and also Woodrow Wilson's House (which has some lovely flowers in the back garden). Definitely check out the Tulip Library (north side of the Tidal Basin, near the Jefferson Memorial)...over 100 tips of tulips and they'll be in bloom early April. And a great park photographically (but so-so for a botanical garden) is Meridian Park in DC (16th NW and W st.). They have a drum circle, kites, old gates, and a lovely set of fountains that feed water downhill from one to the next and so on--maybe the best park in DC to photograph.

Finally, the official forecast of peak blossoms will be made by the NPS on March 1st. But given our very cold winter, I think there is a decent chance we'll have cherry blossoms up in plentiful amounts on the Tidal Basin come that weekend. It's spectacular (photo of the Tidal Basin with the Jefferson Memorial in the background).
View attachment 153736

I'm in for all of that, lol!

I'll be here on both weekends. I'm always here (unless I'm in Maine).

Yeay!

Oh, and I forgot...for those of you doing the Botanic Gardens thing...you can also look at Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. More water lillies and other water flowers than you can shake a stick at. Beautiful area but in a dicey part of town (the gardens are safe but I wouldn't leave stuff showing in the car or park an RV in the lot). Address is: 1900 Anacostia Ave SE, Washington DC and it's run by the National Park Service.

There's also Meadowlark Botanical Gardens. Gives you a chance to see Tyson's Corner.

Ok. Shifted this on my calendar. Should be OK. I live in Arlington; grew up here. If the blossoms are out I would suggest getting to the tidal basin before sunrise and making that call (Sat vs Sun) on Friday based on the weather forecast. Sunset also works and this allows for night shots of Jefferson and Washington.

Of course I can pop down on my bike and and do this anytime so I will just tag along.

The National Cathedral is a good venue for midday for interior shots. The Botanic Garden might also work for midday.
20171224123427_IMG_3500-1664x2496.JPG
20180131191549_IMG_4302-02-1973x1409.jpeg

I've lived here my whole life and have never done the tidal basin -- so I wouldn't mind doing it this year.

I booked my flight last night. Southwest is having a good 2 day sale! I’m going to fly in Thursday and spend some time with my cousins. I can meet everyone Friday and/or Saturday pretty much whenever. I’m heading home Sunday early evening so will have most of the morning and afternoon too.

My “must do” list includes the Tidal Basin at sunrise, one of the botanical gardens, Arlington cemetery, Lincoln monument (at night or dawn I think)... I wouldn’t mind getting inside a couple of buildings too if anyone has a recommendation? Library of Congress? Capitol Bldg? Are they photographer friendly? Do arrangements need to be made in advance? I’ve seen most of the DC museums and the zoo already.

Any other good photo ops that I shouldn’t miss?

With the shift to April, all of the cheap Amtrak deals are gone. Actually, the only thing available is Business class when on return travel, haha.

It looks like Southwest has some reasonable fares out of PVD, but I'd have to use my last personal day at work, and flying is a harder sell for my wife (not because of the cost which is less in this case, but because I'm not walking distance to the airport like I am to the train station, haha).

With the shift to April, all of the cheap Amtrak deals are gone. Actually, the only thing available is Business class when on return travel, haha.

It looks like Southwest has some reasonable fares out of PVD, but I'd have to use my last personal day at work, and flying is a harder sell for my wife (not because of the cost which is less in this case, but because I'm not walking distance to the airport like I am to the train station, haha).

Yikes, at your last personal day already? Ah the joys of having little ones! I remember when I used to use all my vacation time to attend events at school or to take care of her when she was home sick, field trips, school vacations, Girl Scout meetings…

I hope something changes and you can make it for a few days.

I booked my flight last night. Southwest is having a good 2 day sale! I’m going to fly in Thursday and spend some time with my cousins. I can meet everyone Friday and/or Saturday pretty much whenever. I’m heading home Sunday early evening so will have most of the morning and afternoon too.

My “must do” list includes the Tidal Basin at sunrise, one of the botanical gardens, Arlington cemetery, Lincoln monument (at night or dawn I think)... I wouldn’t mind getting inside a couple of buildings too if anyone has a recommendation? Library of Congress? Capitol Bldg? Are they photographer friendly? Do arrangements need to be made in advance? I’ve seen most of the DC museums and the zoo already.

I'd recommend both Library of Congress and Capitol Building--both are photo friendly, no tripod.

For Capitol, IIRC from like 5 years ago, you need a ticket in advance. We did it from the hotel the night before, but we had to have the hotel print out our tickets. Things may have changed since then. It's probably too late for a White House tour.

We joined a LOC tour, but ended up leaving it halfway through to wander on our own. The person talked too quietly, and we lost interest rather quickly. Both are photo friendly, but with the Capitol, you can't really linger at all, you need to stay with the group. They make sure of it, I guess with good reason. There were multiple groups going on at once, so I could see how easy it'd be to get lost in the shuffle.

The only thing I'd check with is whether or not they're going to let you bring bags and whatnot. I seem to remember bags being kinda "iffy"? Maybe just my memory.

I'd highly recommend the Newseum--have to pay to enter. While part of the Tidal Basin memorials, I'm a huge fan of the FDR Memorial. The wife and I really want to go to the African American history/culture museum, as well. Another fun museum to go to is the National Postal Museum, but it's pretty far out of the way of everything else.

When wife and I went and toured Capitol, we stayed near Union Station. We got a very early tour (I think it was like 8 AM or so), then toured LOC, then the National Mall (we didn't do museums this day, just walked it), Washington Monument, Tidal Basin and memorials, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, White House, then walked back to hotel. While doable, it was a long, and tiring day.

I'd recommend both Library of Congress and Capitol Building--both are photo friendly, no tripod.

For Capitol, IIRC from like 5 years ago, you need a ticket in advance. We did it from the hotel the night before, but we had to have the hotel print out our tickets. Things may have changed since then. It's probably too late for a White House tour.

We joined a LOC tour, but ended up leaving it halfway through to wander on our own. The person talked too quietly, and we lost interest rather quickly. Both are photo friendly, but with the Capitol, you can't really linger at all, you need to stay with the group. They make sure of it, I guess with good reason. There were multiple groups going on at once, so I could see how easy it'd be to get lost in the shuffle.

The only thing I'd check with is whether or not they're going to let you bring bags and whatnot. I seem to remember bags being kinda "iffy"? Maybe just my memory.

I'd highly recommend the Newseum--have to pay to enter. While part of the Tidal Basin memorials, I'm a huge fan of the FDR Memorial. The wife and I really want to go to the African American history/culture museum, as well. Another fun museum to go to is the National Postal Museum, but it's pretty far out of the way of everything else.

When wife and I went and toured Capitol, we stayed near Union Station. We got a very early tour (I think it was like 8 AM or so), then toured LOC, then the National Mall (we didn't do museums this day, just walked it), Washington Monument, Tidal Basin and memorials, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, White House, then walked back to hotel. While doable, it was a long, and tiring day.

Great tips thanks! I’ve been to the WH already so won’t need to go there again. I did see the FDR last time but it was part of a Monuments at night tour and not enough time to get any good photos.

It's by the school year for personal days. I get 6 personal days and 15 sick days each year, but the rules for using them are pretty strict. Technically, I have to use my personal days for any family leave, so I burned a bunch at the beginning of the year when my son was born and my wife needed help around the house. Next year, our contract changed that provision (I'll be able to use up to 7 of my sick days for family leave), so I'll have more options.

(It sounds like a lot of time to be able to take off...but we can't flex our schedules like a lot of other professions can. Not that I ever come close to using all of my sick time, but say I need to get fasting blood work done and the lab doesn't open until 8...that's a quarter of a sick day for me, whereas most of my friends in the business world can stay later that same afternoon.)

Anyways...the African-American History Museum is awesome. If you guys can get tickets, I highly recommend it. I saw it last April when I went with my school.

Most reactions

Back