DC - Spring 2018 TPF Meet 4/6-4/8

Which weekend to meet in DC? More than one choice is allowed. Please choose all that work for you.

• March 2-4

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • March 9-11

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Mar 30-Apr 1

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Apr 6-8

• Apr 13-15

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay, multiple thoughts:
1. Friday should be lovely, good temps but windy. That's actually a good day to photograph the Washington Monument b/c the flags at the base of the monument will be swirling in the wind and I bet there will be some kites out and about near the base of the monument. Good day to be outside and shooting outside stuff (like Arlington National Cemetery for instance).

2. Saturday: Mark, what are you seeing? I'm in Houston (get back Friday night) and the DC weather link I have says snow and rain on Saturday. That is actually good for the Tidal Basin b/c it will hold down crowds and the cherry blossoms in the snow should be exquisite! Peg, as others posted, you're very safe going to the Tidal Basin with photo equipment. In fact you'll probably see another 40-50 photographers there on Saturday unless it's raining. My suggestions on good places to meet up: either inside the Jefferson Memorial (which will be covered and it's a beautiful memorial to photograph) or the Martin Luther King Memorial (which will be uncovered but is nice to shoot and right next to the cherry blossoms). Bonus: if it is indeed snowing, get your butt over to the Korean War Memorial. It is a platoon of life-size soldiers on patrol. With snow on their ponchos they will look like ghosts emerging from the mist--very powerful photo and not that far from MLK Memorial.

3. I can be at the US Botanic Garden as early as 10am if that works for people. I drop my wife off at the airport on Saturday morning. I'll need to stop off at home to walk the dog but otherwise should be able to make it in to DC and connect with y'all by 10am. If you want to keep it at 11am, I'll plan on being there then but I"ll need to bug out at about 12:15 (got a nephew's birthday party I need to go to).

4. Assuming it is raining on Saturday, my suggestions of places very close to the US Botanic Garden that are definitely worth shooting:
--National Gallery of Art, East Building. All modern art, the inside of the building is cool and good space to shoot, many of the galleries (like the Calder mobiles) allow flash photography, if you don't want to spend much time outside I strongly recommend the NGA.
--National Museum of the American Indian: the best cafeteria food of all the Smithsonian, cool space inside to shoot.
--Hirshhorn Museum (all modern art). Circular building, worth shooting the outside and the outdoor sculpture garden even if the weather sucks, indoors it's interesting space and usually a couple of exhibits are worth going for.
--and if the weather really, really sucks and you don't want to be outdoors, go visit the Newseum. It will cost you (ie: it's not free) but it's worth it just to see the entire collection of Pulitizer Award winning photos. For a photographer, this museum is stunning. And you'll find some things to take pictures of in it (part of the Twin Towers is in here, the 2nd biggest remaining segment of the Berlin Wall is in here).

5. Best times to shoot the Lincoln and Washington Monument. Friday is probably your best day to shoot the WM. If you really want to be hardcore, go to Virginia and shoot a sunrise with the Washington Monument in the background. But if you're in DC, shoot it during the day. At night, it won't photograph that well. As for the Lincoln--any time is a great time. Inside, the statue of Lincoln is especially great at night--lots of shadow. During the day, the view from the front of the Lincoln looking down the National Mall is nice. At night you go to the back of the Lincoln, set up a tripod and shoot car lights as they go up and down Memorial Bridge. In the upper part of your photo (on a clear night) will be a small light twinkling on the Virginia side of the Potomac--that will be the eternal flame of JFK in Arlington National Cemetery). Seriously, there is no BAD time to shoot the Lincoln. But if you shoot it at night, you get a threefer. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is beautiful at night. And the US Institute of Peace is a glass building all lit up at night. And the 3 (VVM, USIP, and Lincoln) are 2 blocks from each other. And yes, all safe to be at night.

Okay, that's all I got.

So far, we have 4 confirmed, meaning I have cell numbers for them: SquarePeg, Braineak, JoeW and myself.

Weather-wise for Saturday: it sounds like rain and snow are very likely - 3" to the south of town, where I am. Indoor activities may be the best bet, and I'll add one of my favorite buildings into the mix - Smithsonian's Museum of the American Indian. It's located "across the street" from the Botanical Gardens, so convenient.

Dang it!!! I'm so jealous!! I just can't make these dates work. I can't wait to hear and see how your trip goes!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

75% chance of precipitation. Snow! I may have to check a bag if I need snow and rain gear as well as clothes for 60’s on Thursday and Friday! I’d so much rather see snow than rain.

Cherry blossoms in the snow sounds kind of cool. I guess I’ll be prepared for all weather! I’m definitely in for the Tidal Basin and Botanical garden and will play it by ear from there. I like the idea of getting over to the Korean War Memorial In the snow so I may head over there at some point if anyone else is interested.

Lol Have fun with that.
Screenshot_20180404-084926.jpg

so annoying since we just had such a nice weekend...

but like Joe said, should actually make for interesting images.

75% chance of precipitation. Snow! I may have to check a bag if I need snow and rain gear as well as clothes for 60’s on Thursday and Friday! I’d so much rather see snow than rain.

Cherry blossoms in the snow sounds kind of cool. I guess I’ll be prepared for all weather! I’m definitely in for the Tidal Basin and Botanical garden and will play it by ear from there. I like the idea of getting over to the Korean War Memorial In the snow so I may head over there at some point if anyone else is interested.
I blame the Bostonian. :p

Dang it!!! I'm so jealous!! I just can't make these dates work. I can't wait to hear and see how your trip goes!!

I'm sure we can gather a few locals for a second round. It may not include Cherry Blossoms, but the buildings and monuments aren't going anywhere, soon.

I blame the Bostonian. [emoji14]

I'm sure we can gather a few locals for a second round. It may not include Cherry Blossoms, but the buildings and monuments aren't going anywhere, soon.
Or you guys can come my way! Hehe
Philly has a lot of good stuff to see!

I blame the Bostonian. [emoji14]

True.

if youre into that sort of thing...

"I hope we get a jammin' foot of snow!"

There, that took care of it - dusting at the most.

PMs sent out with contact numbers - we have five confirmed.

I told one of the nieces she could tag along if she were available, to just call me when she gets close - not sure if she'll be there.

"I hope we get a jammin' foot of snow!"

There, that took care of it - dusting at the most.

It worked, thanks. Might not even rain now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back