DC - Spring 2018 TPF Meet 4/6-4/8

Which weekend to meet in DC? More than one choice is allowed. Please choose all that work for you.

• March 2-4

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • March 9-11

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Mar 30-Apr 1

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Apr 6-8

• Apr 13-15

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Starting this thread to continue our discussion from Coffee House about a possible TPF meet in DC this Spring.

Some things to talk about:

Dates?
Where to stay/hotel deals
Getting there suggestions/deals on flights, trains
Photo spots - what's on everyone's bucket list?

I'm totally up for a TPF meet. I need to read more in the Coffee House!

Depending on when we go (and for how long), if it's around a busy time, you can actually reserve parking spots in garages. I'd suggest that, which is what we did when we went down for the Cherry Blossom festival. Of course, if you stay in a hotel, you'd get parking at the hotel (for $/day).

Last time we stayed overnight, we chose this hotel, which was walkable to the monuments/sites, and not ridiculously expensive. Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom . But, this is on the west side of the National Mall. If people are taking the train, they may want something closer to Union Station. The only thing with staying on the eastern side is that the monuments/sites are further away (with the exception of the US Capital, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, etc).

I'd like to do Arlington National Cemetery--haven't been there before.

If we would do a tour of the US Capital building, I believe you need to have tickets in advance, so we should be cognizant of that if we choose that as a site to see.

I still use Amtrak when travelling to NYC -- the commuter train is pretty cheap. Unsure about flights, but you wanna fly into Reagan and not dulles or bwi.

I just like the zoo when in DC. :p

Similar to you, Sharon, I'm very interested in doing monuments/sites during golden hour and at night.

For the Capital tour, contact your Senator or Representative - it's my understanding they can get the tickets a little easier for their home folks than someone trying on their own; I haven't been in years, when you could just walk in. The rehab construction (I think) is finished.

Off the top of my head, monuments at the Tidal Basin or very close: Jefferson, Lincoln, FDR, MLK Jr, Washington Monument, WW2, Viet Nam (the Wall), Korean War. There are also a number of small gardens around the various Smithsonian buildings. At the other end of the mall (Capitol end) is the National Botanical Gardens, and the US Navy Memorial (a block off of the mall).

Like Braineak says, DCA is the closest airport and has a Metrorail station. If you have to go to BWI, both Amtrak and MARC (Md state commuter rail) can get you to DC, though I'm not sure if MARC runs on weekends. Amtrak stops at Union Station, which is downtown.

Last edited:
Similar to you, Sharon, I'm very interested in doing monuments/sites during golden hour and at night.

Last visit I had Princess and my nephew and they were about 12 I think... we did the Monuments at Night bus tour which was awesome but time at each spot was very limited and I had to choose between hanging with the family or finding a spot for my tripod. Would love to do a similar route with more time and fewer distractions! Also we skipped the Capitol due to the rehab construction so would love to see that. I know someone who works for our Congresswoman and can contact her for tickets but probably would only apply for those from MA.

I would definitely be flying in. The train ride from MA is 9 hours. BTDT no thanks! I have plenty of frequent flyer miles I can burn on a flight if I can't find something cheap. I'm a little annoyed with myself in this regard today as I just found out that my Southwest miles expired and they won't reinstate them! So much for their "miles don't expire" advertising. It's BS. There are a lot of asterisks after that statement. Only had enough for 1 or 2 short flights on SW but still... I would have donated them to Make A Wish if I knew they were going to expire. Will have to spend some time tonight checking all of my ff and hotel loyalty accounts to make sure this doesn't happen with any other points.

For me, a weekend would be best. Friday night arrival, Sunday afternoon departure. I would rather stay near the sites we plan to visit. When traveling by myself I usually find good deals via Priceline. Seems like renting a car would be a waste of money. Previous visit we just took taxis everywhere and it still saved us money over renting a car + parking fees.

Hey @Braineack and @snowbear - do either of you ever go to Menus | Cheesetique My cousin works there part time.

Depending on the weekend, I'd try to make it down. I haven't looked at flights, but its a really reasonable train ticket for me to get down and back for a weekend (like $150 RT), so I'd probably be going into Union Station. I'd be fine taking public transportation/uber/lyft etc to get where I wanted to go.

I might pass on a hotel in favor of renting an a room at an airbnb if I'm going by myself...I know what hotel prices are like in DC!

Hey @Braineack and @snowbear - do either of you ever go to Menus | Cheesetique My cousin works there part time.
No, but now that I've looked at the menu, it has my interest. Now, which of three to go to . . .

Yes, unless you are planning on going outside the city, a car is usually a waste. Although it has issues, I really like the Metrorail, even if I have to walk a bit to/from the station. I use the connector bus but don't generally take the regular bus as figuring out the routes can be a task.

Sounds groovy but I will probably use some vacation time in the spring to go to Florida as I normally do. I'll have to look up potential customers there, stranger things have happened.

No, but now that I've looked at the menu, it has my interest. Now, which of three to go to . . .

If you go to the one in Del Ray, ask for Jess and let her know you "know" me!

If you go to the one in Del Ray, ask for Jess and let her know you "know" me!

Will do.

it's like my favorite restaurant. I go there often!!!! All three locations.

Tell them to open one in Fairfax for me please!!!!!
Not before one goes into the Greater Waldorf-Brandywine-La Plata metropolitan area.

Just in case anyone is interested in visiting any of the Smithsonian facilities, non-commercial photography & video is allowed (like Park Service areas), however they don't allow tripods, monopods or selfie sticks.

they actually were planning one in Bethesda or something but it fall through iirc.

Just in case anyone is interested in visiting any of the Smithsonian facilities, non-commercial photography & video is allowed (like Park Service areas), however they don't allow tripods, monopods or selfie sticks.
Does " non-commercial photography " mean P & S cameras allowed only or will they accept dslr's as well? How do they determine who is going to shoot commercially?

Most reactions

Back