DC - Spring 2018 TPF Meet 4/6-4/8

Which weekend to meet in DC? More than one choice is allowed. Please choose all that work for you.

• March 2-4

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • March 9-11

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Mar 30-Apr 1

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Apr 6-8

• Apr 13-15

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I live in Arlington. How will everyone be informed as to what was decided?

Also, Arlington is a great place to stay if you are visiting the area. The Hilton Garden Inn is one block from Court House metro and a long walk or a short cab ride to ANC (Arlington National Cemetery).

There is also a Holiday Inn and a Comfort Inn that are walking distance to the Ballston Metro stop, five stops from DC.

Of course there are many more options but these are economical and convenient.

I live in Arlington. How will everyone be informed as to what was decided?

Also, Arlington is a great place to stay if you are visiting the area. The Hilton Garden Inn is one block from Court House metro and a long walk or a short cab ride to ANC (Arlington National Cemetery).

There is also a Holiday Inn and a Comfort Inn that are walking distance to the Ballston Metro stop, five stops from DC.

Of course there are many more options but these are economical and convenient.
We will post updates here, and can make a list of those intending to participate. As far as coordination, I'd suggest @SquarePeg with @Braineack or myself as local contact points.

As usual, I'm late to the game. But that won't stop me from sharing redundant information that has already been decided (well, maybe).

1. Yes, count me in (as long as it's not on a date when I'm traveling for work--I travel a LOT).
2. You can get much cheaper hotels in the suburbs and then take the train in (VRE, with stops at places like Crystal City, L' Enfant Plaza and then Union Station and Metro stops at them all). Like you could actually stay in Fredericksburg, VA and shoot the battlefield there and the old town then take the train in the next day.
3. If you're coming from NYC, I recommend one of the buses like VaMoose or Megabus. I've seen roundtrip tickets for $30, you get wifi, lots of space for tripods and/or Pelican cases.
4. Some suggestions for options to consider:
--night shoot of the Lincoln Memorial (from the back of it on a clear night you can see the Eternal Flame at JFK's gravesite in Arlington National Cemetery across the River), the US Institute of Peace (2 blocks away), the Einstein Memorial (across the street) and Vietnam Veteran's Memorial (across the street from the Einstein).
--Arlington National Cemetery, Section 60 (where the Iraq and Afghanistan dead are buried). People leave momentos on the headstones (see the photo below). You also have the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the changing of the guard.
--National Gallery of Art, East Building (contemporary and modern art) is speed light friendly and free. Great architecture and art that lends itself to creative abstract photography (like...shooting Calder mobiles).
--Hirshhorn Museum (more modern and contemporary art in a nifty space plus an outdoor sculpture garden).
--US Botanical Gardens (diverse ecosystems, the orchids may still be blooming if it's an early spring, they give out permits for tripods, and it's next to a bunch of other good stuff to shoot).
--Renwick Gallery (part of the SI but not on the National Mall, it is known for lots of large installations that make fascinating photographic possibilities and all galleries are photo friendly).

Everything I've just listed is free. Don't plan on parking on the National Mall. Take Metro, or Lyft, or park elsewhere and walk in. And b/c March and April in DC can alternate between "wow, it's summer already?" vs. cold, blustery, and rainy, I suggest that people have an indoor plan and an outdoor plan. Last thought--it's not very photo-friendly and it costs to get in but if you are interested in photojournalism and telling stories with photographies, when you're in town you should make time to visit the Newseum. It's worth the price of admission just to see the exhibits on 9-11, specifically the story of the "Falling Man" photo as well as Bill Biggart (who was shooting at the base of one of the towers that day and his crushed gear was found in the wreckage...and the photos were salvaged). Powerful stuff.

Attachments

• ANC-9.jpg
    ANC-9.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 140
I may just make it to Washington in March. Mid-to-late April I'll be on vacation.

As a retired senile citizen, I can come down from the Springfield MA area on Amtrak for $73 each way. Adult fare from Boston is $79 each way. As a 'frequent rider' Amtrak, I can cash in some never-expiring points, too! Now all I need is a decent hotel price. This past June, after checking a bunch of places online, I ended up in Alexandria for a night at $210 after the taxes. Anywhere within a block or so of a subway station works for me.

Just in case anyone is interested in visiting any of the Smithsonian facilities, non-commercial photography & video is allowed (like Park Service areas), however they don't allow tripods, monopods or selfie sticks.
Does " non-commercial photography " mean P & S cameras allowed only or will they accept dslr's as well? How do they determine who is going to shoot commercially?
Let me be more specific on this issue:

1. Some traveling or special exhibits will ban cameras (in the Smithsonian). As a general rule, all museum exhibits (meaning: the artifacts belong to SI) can be photographed.
2. Can you use a DSLR? Of course. See examples below.
3. The US Botanic Garden issues tripod permits. I have had no problem with beanbags, stabilizing against a bench or door frame. I've sometimes used a small REI tripod (6 inches) and no-one has said "no tripods!" to me.
4. The National Gallery of Art East Building (the modern art side of the museum) allows speed lights in a number of the galleries.

As to what you're looking at, the first is a natural light photo in the National Gallery of Art East Building, the second is natural light at the Renwick (one of the installations playing with light and wire), the third is a speed light and narrow DoF of an Alexander Calder mobile in the Calder room at NGA-East, the 4th is natural light of a patron in front of a Rothko at the NGA. So yes, DSLRs are allowed, some exhibits allow speed lights and some facilities allow tripods. But you need to ask first (or check the specific museum website for photography rules).

Attachments

• DSC_7449.jpg
    DSC_7449.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 190
  • Renwick-1.jpg
    Renwick-1.jpg
    725.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Renwick-24.jpg
    Renwick-24.jpg
    852.2 KB · Views: 212
  • Calder-2.jpg
    Calder-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 211
  • DSC_7441.jpg
    DSC_7441.jpg
    946.8 KB · Views: 210
Id recommend staying just outside DC. The city is butt expensive and you can stay a metro stop away (like near Reagan in Arlington) for much cheaper. Crystal City is one of my favorite little neighborhoods. There's a great sushi place there.

I'm second shooting a lot next year, but if it's not a day I have a wedding, I can metro in from Reston.

I agree. I'd recommend staying in Rosslyn at the Holiday Inn or Marriot, then you can walk to Georgetown or hop in the Rosslyn metro to go into the city. Plenty of great eats in that area as well and plenty of nightlight in Clarendon just up the street.

Another site that is very photogenic both inside and out is the Washington National Cathedral.

Even many locals don't know about the observation level from which you look down on the Washington Monument.

Shots from the Carillon at Iwo Jima are almost cliché but who can resist.

DC.jpg

I ended up with pretty good shots of the WWII memorial the last DC walk -- the VA folks met up there at sunrise:

DSC_1515-2
by Braineack, on Flickr

The Cathedral isn't a bad idea, but It's just up and away from the sites that the people out of town may want to see is all.

I believe we did: WH, Eastern Market, Library of Congress (went inside), Congress, Supreme Court, Chinatown, then Zoo.

late summer morning :p was in sept. :p

Sounds like it will be a fun get together.

Unfortunately I'm going the other way in March - west to Sacramento, Oakland, & San Francisco - by train (ferry & bus too).

Sounds like it will be a fun get together.

Unfortunately I'm going the other way in March - west to Sacramento, Oakland, & San Francisco - by train (ferry & bus too).
We'll forgive you. :p

So...are we going to do this?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back