dead Speedlite 199A

altavek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just got my new Rebel and went to see if my old Speedlite 199a would work with it but it won't power up (the Speedlite that is). It's sat in my AE-1 bag for quite some time and at a quick glance, noticed mild corrosion on the battery terminals.

Is this unit worth fixing (and if so, anyone know where I could find a repair manual on it?) or should I just look for another flash?

Thanks!

Hi

First Welcome to the forum.

You said you have a new Rebel but what model?

If it's just mild corrosion on the terminals, then have you tried to clean them off? No repair manual needed for that...as long as you can get to them with something abrasive.

yeah, was able to get most of it off but I'm still not hearing the tell-tale whine of it charging up when I turn it on.

Well, if the contacts are clean and the batteries are fresh, and it's still not working...then ya, something is probably in need or repair or replacement. These things really aren't made to be user serviceable. They can even be dangerous to go poking around in, as the capacitor can pack a wallop.

You could send it into Canon, or maybe a local camera repair shop....but parts & labor would likely be more than the value of the flash itself.

You would probably be better off putting money toward a new flash. Something like a Canon 320EX or a 430EX

Thanks for the advice. I’ll look into those 2 flash suggestions.

Most reactions

Back