No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
400-c5748w.jpg

Notes:
-Use of long focal length to control depth of image / flattened perspective
-Small aperture for thorough focus
-Use of low, setting sun for color enhancement and to form longer, uniquely shaped tree shadow

Beautiful, rich colours. Well done.

Honestly, the tree seems to get lost in the background due to a relatively color match with the rocks behind it. I wouldn't have noticed it really if I hadn't been looking for it and found the shadow, which lead me to the tree. I like the comp but is there a way you can separate the tree from the background more?

Amazing colour :)

Thank you- the place can be so wierd :)

Nicely done.

Thanks.

Beautiful, rich colours. Well done.

Thank you. I'd noticed the colors from a distance when shooting other areas in the valley at sunset over the last group of years. Finally made it over there.

Wow stunning shot.

Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with it. :)

Honestly, the tree seems to get lost in the background due to a relatively color match with the rocks behind it. I wouldn't have noticed it really if I hadn't been looking for it and found the shadow, which lead me to the tree. I like the comp but is there a way you can separate the tree from the background more?

That's the effect I was looking for, and I wanted the whole scene to flatten out on itself. The distance from the tree to the rock formation is about 40 feet. There are remains of an old adobe house that have been painted over (with lead paint as the adobe was built with radioactive clay- that's wierd) to match the rocks. At sunset during the time of year this was shot, the vegetation in the area turns red-orangish from the soil on the slope leading to the spot (my theory).

I noticed this effect/phenomenon about a year before on a ridge overlooking the valley:

760-c0136.jpg

This shot was taken within a week of a year before at about the same time of day. The sun was in roughly the same position- coming through low. The ranch house/dead tree is about 1/3 from the left in front of the formation just about dead center between top and bottom.

The abstract, nearly flat look is exactly what I meant to shoot- It took a year. I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about with what I've seen of your storm shots. It's following the ~way, it's more than just a single image.

-best.

I don't like the flatness at all it makes it hard for me to determine the main focus of the image which I assume is the tree and the colors take away from the tree to as it blends in too much

Diggin' the shadow on the rock. If you don't look too closely, the dried vegetation in front gives it a reptillian pattern effect. Cool.

Second shot is amazing.

The shot is great!!
It's a little bit too orange for my tastes, but if that's how it was there's not a whole lot you can do about it!! haha

I find it's hard to concentrate on one particular object, like the tree. after staring at it for about five minutes I did notice the shadow, which is pretty awesome!

Diggin' the shadow on the rock. If you don't look too closely, the dried vegetation in front gives it a reptillian pattern effect. Cool.

Second shot is amazing.

I see what you mean, kinda lizard-like? Thank you. I did have to make a visit out to the ranch buildings for some documentation shots for a web site- but I love going when I can do the docs as an afterthought to the art. Thought the shadow was so cool- like pinchers. :)

The shot is great!!
It's a little bit too orange for my tastes, but if that's how it was there's not a whole lot you can do about it!! haha

I find it's hard to concentrate on one particular object, like the tree. after staring at it for about five minutes I did notice the shadow, which is pretty awesome!

Abstracts IMO are about view retention, how long can you keep someone looking? I like pulling abstracts out of these places. It is so strange on location.

I got a chance to check out a bit of your part of the world last month (Utah). We have a lot of whites and yellows, oranges and some reds, but Utah, there are some deep colors going on there. I got to visit St. George/Zion. What part are you located in?

Most reactions

Back