Deal of the Century

Digital Matt

alter ego: Analog Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.mattperko.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I got my award from my 2nd place in the photo contest I just entered. It was a $20 gift certificate to Van's Photo, a small local photo lab by me. I show up this morning, to buy some film, and whatever else I can get for $20. I ended up buying a little cleaning kit to replace my recently lost one. As I'm talking with the owner and introducing myself, he says, "hey, I got something you might like to see". He proceeds to bring out a metal briefcase, and open it to show me a beautiful, minty mint condition Mamiya M645, with 2 lenses, (80 f/2.8 and 80 f/4 macro), a polarizer, hoods, all paperwork including manuals and warranty. It was owned by an art Professor at CSU who used it for documenting his sculptures. It sat for 15 years on a tripod in a studio, getting occassional use. So I asked him the price, and he says, "2 and a half". I was a little confused, so I asked him again how much, and he says, "$250".

Needless to say, I bought it, and man oh man, it is really MINT. Not a single mark on it. It smells of a fresh clean and lube. Just days before this mind you, the place I work at, (photo studio), having gone digital about 3 years ago, had a large stock of Fuji NPS 160, in a freezer in the basement, and I picked up about 50 rolls gratis :hail:

It's been a good couple of days. Just sharing my joy :)

Wow. Just keep rubbing it in, won't you.

Recently I thought I had my own piece of luck: a friend gave me her Leica Digilux - their first digital camera. Oh my, what a POS that thing turned out to be.

Good on you Matt, sometimes these things come along. Thought I'd put this one in. I bought this few years ago for a shoot for $25 and just sold it on Ebay for $560, not a bad profit eh !!!
2.jpg

WHOA. dang. i can't believe you got that deal, that is definitely incredible. i wish my local shop had good catches like that :). they're always overpriced...

Sounds great!.... good deal..... luckily for me i know nothing of old cameras....... i say luckily because i know for certain if i did, i'd start spending all my money on them.... i'm just that kind of person!.....
so for now, as much as i like the sound of these old cameras..... i have to force myself not to look into them..... or before you know it, i'd be sat in a room full of boxes with an empty bank account :lol:

So I'm just gonna stick to digital for now ;)

Thanks everyone :)

Philip, that is a pretty amazing profit. Good one!

Archangel, your position is a good one, because I'm seemingly always finding myself in this quandary now. I see lots of nice cameras around, but most are too expensive. This was just too good to pass up.

Well, I'm on lunch at work, and I'm going to run out and see if I can find a few worthy pictures.

I'd be interested in seeing them if you find anything post-worthy. I'm like Archangel... I don't know much about older style cameras and I think I'll agree that I might try to stay this way to avoid being broke and divorced. Good story though... congrats!!!

Digital Matt said:
Thanks everyone :)

Philip, that is a pretty amazing profit. Good one!

Archangel, your position is a good one, because I'm seemingly always finding myself in this quandary now. I see lots of nice cameras around, but most are too expensive. This was just too good to pass up.

Well, I'm on lunch at work, and I'm going to run out and see if I can find a few worthy pictures.

rmh159 said:
I'd be interested in seeing them if you find anything post-worthy. I'm like Archangel... I don't know much about older style cameras and I think I'll agree that I might try to stay this way to avoid being broke and divorced. Good story though... congrats!!!

Well, I forgot to pack my light meter in the case, so no photos today :p

I'm lucky because my wife is very supportive, and I really don't buy equipment that often. I've been making do, but now that I'm studying photography, I'm shooting a lot more film, and this camera is just a really great find.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back