Dealing with focus issue...

It would be normal to have a very tiny amount of noise at ISO 800 if you view at 100% crop. It's not much (and it's very easy to manage) but it isn't zero.

When I look at this image, mostly what I notice is the blue cast on the white balance (it needs to be warmed up) and the color seems desaturated.

I also notice the focus is a little better on the subjects that are nearer to the camera (and you said you used f/5.6).

But it's difficult to provide a good evaluation since these are JPEGs and have no EXIF data in them.

Did you shoot RAW? Do you have a straight-out-of-the-camera shot you can share (not a JPEG) with all the EXIF data still intact?
Yes I do - what is your email and I can send you the RAW file.

I had forgotten my expo disc to get proper WB so I need to obviously fix that and do other editing to the image as well.
The exposure looks off. The shutter speed seems way faster than necessary for the conditions. Before you do more pictures for people, get out and practice with just your camera and learn how to get proper exposures.

Work on learning how to meter a scene. I find that sometimes in shade with sun coming in from the background the meter may be trying to adjust for that light - you may need to learn how to meter where the subject is then reframe as needed. It would help to notice the background before getting the subjects set; I think it may have looked better without that lighter patch of sun because it makes for a somewhat visually distracting bright area in the composition (and might have been what at least partly messed up the exposure).

Describing the quality, grain is in the emulsion of the film, noise is digital. It seems like you need to become more familiar with these type aspects of photography and the appropriate terminology. This is going to need correction on the color/WB and brightness and maybe a bit of a crop to make it acceptable. Shooting digitally I find it's going to be better to make adjustments if needed later if shooting Raw.

You seem to have engaged the subjects nicely and gotten smiles and good expressions. They'll probably like the picture if you can get some corrections made to improve the technical quality.

I had the shutter speed high b/c I was worried about camera shake. I was pulling my camera down to get the kids engaged, then pulling it back up. That is why it was as high as it was. Maybe I over thought it and did it too high but was trying to cover my basis.

It's not as bad as you think. Yes, the WB was off a little, and I sharpened it just a wee bit.

BTW: a "100% crop" is just a portion of the actual full-size image, obtained by cropping a small rectangle out of the full-size image on your computer. There is a limit as to the size of file you can post, but just take a piece of the photograph, and you can post it at 100% (full size).

Anyway, here is what I came up with. Your mileage may vary.

crop1 - Version 2.jpg

Grandmas knees look pretty sharp as does the grass at their feet 2-3 ft in front of their faces. There is no scientific backing for this but i feel like good lighting helps the sharpness.

Most reactions

Back