Dealing with focus issue...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by deedubss123, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    looks decently sharp at the size you posted. image needs major post-processing help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The exposure looks off. The shutter speed seems way faster than necessary for the conditions. Before you do more pictures for people, get out and practice with just your camera and learn how to get proper exposures.

Work on learning how to meter a scene. I find that sometimes in shade with sun coming in from the background the meter may be trying to adjust for that light - you may need to learn how to meter where the subject is then reframe as needed. It would help to notice the background before getting the subjects set; I think it may have looked better without that lighter patch of sun because it makes for a somewhat visually distracting bright area in the composition (and might have been what at least partly messed up the exposure).

Describing the quality, grain is in the emulsion of the film, noise is digital. It seems like you need to become more familiar with these type aspects of photography and the appropriate terminology. This is going to need correction on the color/WB and brightness and maybe a bit of a crop to make it acceptable. Shooting digitally I find it's going to be better to make adjustments if needed later if shooting Raw.

You seem to have engaged the subjects nicely and gotten smiles and good expressions. They'll probably like the picture if you can get some corrections made to improve the technical quality.

3. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    could be some DOF issues as well. for that many people you need a few feet of DOF for everyone to be in focus.
    DOF is not just your aperture, but also affected by focal length/distance to subject. you might have had the group in the very back end of your focal plane.

the white balance looks off, as does the exposure. nothing a little processing cant fix.

4. deedubss123

deedubss123 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes I do - what is your email and I can send you the RAW file.

5. deedubss123

deedubss123 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had forgotten my expo disc to get proper WB so I need to obviously fix that and do other editing to the image as well.
    I had the shutter speed high b/c I was worried about camera shake. I was pulling my camera down to get the kids engaged, then pulling it back up. That is why it was as high as it was. Maybe I over thought it and did it too high but was trying to cover my basis.

6. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    It's not as bad as you think. Yes, the WB was off a little, and I sharpened it just a wee bit.

BTW: a "100% crop" is just a portion of the actual full-size image, obtained by cropping a small rectangle out of the full-size image on your computer. There is a limit as to the size of file you can post, but just take a piece of the photograph, and you can post it at 100% (full size).

Anyway, here is what I came up with. Your mileage may vary.

crop1 - Version 2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Grandmas knees look pretty sharp as does the grass at their feet 2-3 ft in front of their faces. There is no scientific backing for this but i feel like good lighting helps the sharpness.