dealing with street photography.

a photog doing street photography with a studio ringflash; the guy was just putting it right in peoples faces and shooting. I can see how that would get someone a little tweaked.

Are you thinking of Bruce Gildon? That guy has balls. And guts.

For me, street photography is the closest most people stand a chance of coming to war photography. And to get the best shots, you've gotta be in the middle of the fray.

When I do street photograpy, I use either a 35mm SLR (My Auto-Reflex which is loud as hell but lets me choose between half and full-frame), or a little 35mm AF Fuji that I usually use for color (which is quiet like an ant fart).

On the Konica, I never use zoom or telephoto lenses for street stuff. If you feel more emotion when you take a shot, your photo is going to reflect that and show more emotion. And I'm much more likely to feel that when I'm a couple feet from a person or scene instead of a block away.

If your worried about people's responses when you're shooting them, you probably shouldn't be. Just like a war photographer, you have to go into it without fear. It's fine to shoot from the hip too, but you're going to get a better shot if you bring the camera to your eye.

Most people aren't going to bother you if you take their photo. If they do, be friendly and honest with them. Tell them what you're up to. Don't bull**** people. Hell; after you shoot them, take the time to get their contact info and offer them a copy of the print (or whatever you digital people do).

i usually start in the tourist areas, where there are plenty of people with cameras. Once I'm feeling relaxed I move into different areas. If you're feeling relaxed and natural about what you are doing, you will find nobody will even notice you most of the time.

Also, remember to be respectful of people too. It's understandable that people will be upset if you get right in their face.

i usually start in the tourist areas, where there are plenty of people with cameras. Once I'm feeling relaxed I move into different areas. If you're feeling relaxed and natural about what you are doing, you will find nobody will even notice you most of the time.

Also, remember to be respectful of people too. It's understandable that people will be upset if you get right in their face.
Or you could just start at the bar, have a few drinks and you should be ready to go. :mrgreen: :cheers:

Or you could just start at the bar, have a few drinks and you should be ready to go. :mrgreen: :cheers:

I've done that before too!

Act casual and walk like you are supposed to be there; like you know exactly what you are doing. Never had any trouble!

Act casual and walk like you are supposed to be there; like you know exactly what you are doing. Never had any trouble!

Try to remember that you are not doing anything wrong. Have some fun and keep your eyes open in front of, behind and all around you. Things happen quick and when least expected.

When I first started shooting in the streets I had way more confrontations...more recently I have gotten very good at either making the proper moves to flush my game out in a nice manner, or I am just too sneaky to be noticed... I have seen and been a part of some pretty epic confrontations one involving an old woman on dialysis on a motor scooter who was on the phone with the police, to a student of mine marching up to someone that confronted her with 6 police officers as backup!

just shoot.
if they object delete it.
then go home and undelete it.
oh and maybe life insurance? ;)

I love street photography and have been experimenting with both telephoto as well as wide angle because you get very different kinds of stories with each. At first, I was shy (scared?) but I've gotten bolder and bolder as I see that, most people, just give you a look and move on. Some like it and you can see them start hamming it up for you. Those that don't like it, roll their yes and move out of the way and that's your cue to stop (or risk your life LOL). I find that most people are just suspicious, so if I smile at them if they're upset about the photo having been taken, they relax. A couple of people I just approached after and told them I'm a photography student.

Finally, the last time I went out, I wore a placard that said "photographer". You'd be amazed at how people were just dandy with me standing around taking pics of everyone as long as that placard was hanging from my neck LOL. And I wasn't lying ... at that moment, I *was* a photographer. I even had a tourist approach me for help with his camera that he wasn't sorting out. Luckily, I was able to help LOL.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back