Death of the point and shoot?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by cfusionpm, Nov 20, 2009.

1. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    An interesting through I had just now. I was looking at basic P&S cameras the other day to replace my beat up old one. I even came across one I really liked and almost bought it. But I got to thinking: I haven't even really used my old one at all for as long as I can remember. I don't take my big bulky SLR everywhere, but ever since I've had a phone with a built-in camera, I've relied for that for on-the-go pics. It's something I always have on me, and with advances in optics and processing, shots coming out of some phones today are almost as good as P&S's from just a few years ago.

I guess the question I'm getting at is: Is the cell phone camera killing the point and shoot camera market? The smart phone already wiped out the dedicated palm pilot and similar decivices thanks to internet browsing, business applications, and other computer functionality. I predict the phone camera (if it hasn't already done so) will totally wipe out at least entry level P&S cameras.

Thoughts?

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Phones are nowhere close to where digital point and shoots are, and have been. Literally only a few phones can even FOCUS, let alone zoom.

I don't think there's going to be a death of the point and shoot anytime soon, but what I think we will see is an emergence of m4/3rds type systems coming up. Sony is involved, Samsung, Panasonic, and Olympus. They're expensive now, but in a few years, those prices will come down and EP1/GF1 type cameras will become more popular. Hell, even at the prices they're at now, Panasonic can't make GF1 kits fast enough the demand is so high.

3. ecnal

ecnal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    They make phones so small now. There are GSM phones that are literally wrist watches. There's even a 1.3mp camera in it.

Cell Phone Watch with Camera and Bluetooth | GeekAlerts

Personally, if they really want to put decent cameras and cell phones together, I think they should put a cell phone in a camera, instead of putting cameras in cell phones.

But I have a few digitals. My phone has a 1.3MP one (horrible, but writes to a microSD), my D40, an 8MP point and shoot that I rarely use, and a 2MP Kodak point and shoot that lives in my glove compartment incase I ever get in an accident or anything,

4. astrostu

astrostu I shoot for the stars

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No. Cell phone cameras suck. And you usually have to pay big buck$ to the cell phone company to get the picture off your phone to a computer so you can do something with it.

5. DennyCrane

DennyCrane No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    My phone has a 5mp camera and very simply offloads picures to a PC via a USB cable. But, it's still only a 3rd choice camera behind my old P&S and my DSLR. The quality has a LONG way to go before it'll threaten the prosperous P&S market.

6. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Eh, I'm actually happy with my iPhone 3Gs' camera and it's ability to focus. It's enough that in a case where I just simply can't carry my camera and bag too (that is, if I'm in my tux going to play my sax at a concert), I'll rely on my iPhone to capture spot news if I run into it.

However, a small P&S still beats the crud out of my poor iPhone. That, and sometimes having a small P&S that doesn't attract attention can be very, very useful.

7. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No.

I have never, and would never, rely on a phone in place of a camera.

I do have some "cool" shots off of my phone, but nothing that I would consider good compared to a real camera.

8. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't even own a cell phone.

skieur

9. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks skieur don't feel so out of the loop, i hate the things.

10. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :meh:

:meh::meh::meh::meh::meh:

11. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm glad I am not the only one. I am even tempted at times to pick up a cell phone blocker that is the size of a cell phone fits in your pocket and blocks out cell phone reception within a 100 feet of you.

Even our mail carrier walks around with a cell phone pasted to her ear. We have a replacement (temporary or permanent..who knows) but interesting that he does the route in less than half the time.

skieur

12. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I have one - its sitting somewhere in my room in a draw - uncharged and unused. I hate them too = mostly because I don't want tobe phoned up when I'm doing stuff out and about! Plus I consider it very rude that people will move away from a conversation to answer the phone when in public...... supermarkets are the worst, people will gab on whilst the till attendant is working right infront of them.

And don't get me started on those walk around hands free things - you look like a fool walking along talking to yourself (and every talks loud on them too....)