Death Valley

A/Ox4

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Some shots from my recent Death Valley trip.

d5189742ea6bee7b4a30d7663df80e5e.jpg

c2f567ecd7f8b7cc7d05d9d842b2701c.jpg

25f2d5ad4c4ba724261a8e50bf0ce0b3.jpg

011be0523b8bc9e27e46d78035fd054d.jpg

Cool. I see you made it out to the Racetrack. I bet that was a drive. :)
I need to go back some day. Been a while.

Cool. I see you made it out to the Racetrack. I bet that was a drive. :)
I need to go back some day. Been a while.
If you have a vehicle with the ground clearance (and 4x4 wouldn't hurt) there's a road/trail that comes up from the south rather than the north road from the crater. The north road is washboard for 25+ miles. The south road is much nicer, has better views and more pleasant.

Also got some shots of the Lost Burro Mine out that way.... I've got a thread around here somewhere on that.

I didn't know about the south road. :)

I didn't know about the south road. :)
I don't know if its on the park map, but I have detailed maps downloaded on a mapping app on a tablet.

I'm sure a ranger could point you to it as well. It actually leaves the park on the west side. Saline Valley Road I believe.

Trey, nice shots. I just returned from a week in Death Valley, so I was interested to see your images. We were told that the south road into the Racetrack was not that good and you are right, it goes off Saline Valley road. Would you care to share the location of your shots? Thanks.

WesternGuy

Trey, nice shots. I just returned from a week in Death Valley, so I was interested to see your images. We were told that the south road into the Racetrack was not that good and you are right, it goes off Saline Valley road. Would you care to share the location of your shots? Thanks.

WesternGuy

1. Gold Valley, the northern trail from the valley.

2. West of Stovepipe Wells. There is a trail to Marble Canyon. That shot was takwn at the mouth of the first canyon encounterd on the trail, also where we camped.

3. South end of the Racetrack

4. Mosiac Canyon

67876159e6d62ba9162f852f8c35079c.jpg

Thanks Trey. Interesting that you were camped in Marble Canyon. Our group went up Marble Canyon on November 9th and there were some folks camped part way up the road. I wonder if it was you and your group? It was an interesting drive, to say the least and an even more interesting hike beyond the parking area. Did you go beyond the parking area? If so, do you remember the big (huge!) boulder caught in the canyon walls?

WesternGuy

Doubtful. It was just me and a friend, and we set up camp well after dark and woke up early.

I didn't see a parking area. It was mostly just a washed out river bed with rocks.

Doubtful. It was just me and a friend, and we set up camp well after dark and woke up early.

I didn't see a parking area. It was mostly just a washed out river bed with rocks.
Yup, washed out river bed - says it all. If you had driven up Marble canyon, you can only go so far until you run into a fence of sorts. You then have to walk from there if you want to see any more of the canyon. You are right, it probably was not you as there were a couple of trucks at the site we passed and at least two tents and they had quite they lighting setup. It looked like they had been there for a few days, or were staying for a few days.

WesternGuy

No tents. We slept in the trucks.

This picture shows you exactly where we camped.

845ff77a535c8f679f4cb38a8a01eb93.jpg

Here are a few others.

634faa39e4ee0abce1ac2a790285a27c.jpg

af19e6cecad059d328baf0a9eb109978.jpg

354481484b2ac306b05e221f274e5298.jpg

This last one is cool. My camera gets noisy at moderate ISOs, but I thought this came out nice. Any astronomers here? There's something near the top center bit that is a bright center with what looks like rings. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Full res: DSC_0266 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

0a048c12abecab4366a712924b51a536.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back