Debate/Politics Sub-Forum

GoM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm wondering what the consensus would be towards the creation of a debate/'divisive issues' sub-forum.

I know it flies in the face of everything TPF has stated, but bear with me for a second.

Most of us here are adults, even if we don't act like it. However, it's been expressed repeatedly that this forum is a family forum. I'm not sure if it's program-ally possible, but if such a forum were created, would there be a way to limit it so those of a generally-regarded-as-grown-up-or-basically-there age, be it 14, 16, 18, whatever, and up would be the only ones allowed in, based on their profile ages? Yes, this raises the question of those who don't specify their ages, but that's the kind of thing that can be solved by the powers-that-be.

I realize the potential of debates growing into arguments and arguments growing into feuds on other parts of the board. However, the moderation of this forum is fairly diligent (some might say overly so), and I don't think that restricting open discourse to bubble-wrap a forum incase of 'what ifs' is a wholly valid excuse for not allowing such a sub-forum, especially when such moderation is quite accessible.

i wish, but mods would never allow it, go look at the critique section for a toned down version of the moderation that you would get in a political sub-forum.

I've seen political sections on other forums. In my opinion, it's not a good idea at all. There are PLENTY of political and debate forums out there that you can join if you have a hankerin for controversy.

People are extremely passionate about such topics, and it can lead to very very nasty stuff.....and more often than not, it does bleed out into other parts of the forum. Not only that, but it divides people. This is a photography forum....there is no need for politics here.

As for those complaining about over-modertion....I'm thinking you haven't been on very many forums...I've not seen any of this size that run as smoothly and feel as laid back as this one.

I think the moderation on this forum is one of it's strengths. I've been on foums where the moderation is very heavy handed. (ie anything bordering on divisive is not only locked but deleted.) I've also been on forums where the moderators only moderate when it's their own beliefs that are being challenged. I think the level of moderation here is what makes us, as a whole, enjoy and trust this forum. I also think it's that trust that has made several of us feel that a section for debate could work here. In the fourm as a whole, the rules are very clear, and enforced fairly and equally, which in turn leads the users to be comfortable enough to feel that a debate forum could be allowed to be open, without risking damaging the atmosphere that we enjoy here. It's a big responsibility to make something like this work, but I think we could do it.

That said, it is a major stress on the mods, so ultimately it needs to be their decision if they want to take on that aspect.

and corry is right, its too heated to not spread throughout the forum.

we'd prolly all hate each other once we found out each others political preferences anyways!

I've seen political sections on other forums. In my opinion, it's not a good idea at all. There are PLENTY of political and debate forums out there that you can join if you have a hankerin for controversy.

People are extremely passionate about such topics, and it can lead to very very nasty stuff.....and more often than not, it does bleed out into other parts of the forum. Not only that, but it divides people. This is a photography forum....there is no need for politics here.

As for those complaining about over-modertion....I'm thinking you haven't been on very many forums...I've not seen any of this size that run as smoothly and feel as laid back as this one.

Hey, I never said it was over-modified, but others seem to think as much :wink:

It all depends on the interest, really. I'm sure that if a majority of people on the forum wanted such a thing, there'd be a chance of consideration? The final word obviously rests with you guys, but I don't see the harm in any kind of political debate for those outside the exclusivity of a paid membership. Especially when the moderation of this forum is strong enough already, and feuds could be easily dealt with and managed.

I haven't seen this forum for paid members, mainly because I haven't paid, but if such rules are relaxed for them, then why shouldn't the same rules be relaxed in one specific place, under the condition of age/maturity/whatever + what goes on in the forum stays in the forum? I'm not saying grant everybody every right, because there has to be some benefits to paying beyond a warm fuzzy feeling, but I'm still quite sure a 'topical issues' forum could work.

The Subscriber's Forum is the only place on TPF where pretty much anything goes.

It's amazing that, given that freedom, our subscribers rarely seem to want to dip a toe into those waters. ;) The membership is just a fantastic bunch.

There are a million sites on the Internet where one can go talk politics. A photography forum has little need to go there. :)

as soon as i have two nickels to rub together i'll subscribe

With the few, larger-than-life egos already present on the forum, I would say mixing in politics would be counter productive to the nature of the forum.

Just my opinion, of course.

I'm highly reluctant to open up a place for political dicsussion. The way I see it, it would have to essentially be entirely unmoderated and anything would go, otherwise there would be constant accusations of political preference on those who are doing the moderating. If it were wide open, the discussion is likely to get extremely heated in short order. All in all, I'd much rather see people decide to join a site more focused on such issues when they feel the need to discuss or debate them and stick more closely to photography here.

I agree that it's not needed. I'm on a coin forum a lot (one of my other two main hobbies) and someone was asking if the movement of "In God We Trust" to the rim in the new Presidential Dollar series was the start of a trend to get rid of the phrase. I posted a comment along the lines of, "I hope so, but I doubt it."

The amount of flaming and personal attacks I got was ridiculous for just stating a simple opinion, and then there were the people who didn't think it was appropriate for me to say that, even though politics are mentioned all the time (it's a coin forum ... we're sort of prone to watching what Congress does next to try to screw up our coins).

I just don't think it's necessary and it can lead to a lot of strife that doesn't need to be here, on such a nice forum where people are all about offering advice.

Hmm...this idea is proving less popular than I thought/hoped :p

Most reactions

Back