Debating Getting an Epson 3880

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've heard good things about this printer. I've tinkered with the numbers a bit, and it looks like it might be hard to justify economically. Here's why:
From various websites estimating cost per sq inch ... it looks like my 16x20 prints are going to cost about $4.50(paper plus ink). I can get these done at Wally World for $13.00, so that's a savings of $8.50 per print. With tax, and with a $200 mail-in rebate the printer will be about $1200, and as I understand, it comes with a full set of ink cartridges (so I won't have to buy those first thing). That means I would need to print about 1200/8.50 = 141 prints before it starts to pay for itself. I make maybe 5 16x20's per month ... maybe. After that the ink cartridge sets (~$600) pay for themselves at about every 73 prints.

However ... from a convenience standpoint ... I get the advantage of controlling the print process, paper used, etc. etc.

For those of you who use this printer, especially people who do this for a living, I have essentially three questions:
  • Have you found the convenience worth the expenditure?
  • Is the quality superior enough to enter into contests, put in galleries, sell commercially, etc?
  • Would you get the service contract for it, when inexplicable printing problems show up (and they will)?

Many thanks as always,
--Kerry

I've heard good things about this printer. I've tinkered with the numbers a bit, and it looks like it might be hard to justify economically. Here's why:
From various websites estimating cost per sq inch ... it looks like my 16x20 prints are going to cost about $4.50(paper plus ink). I can get these done at Wally World for $13.00, so that's a savings of $8.50 per print. With tax, and with a $200 mail-in rebate the printer will be about $1200, and as I understand, it comes with a full set of ink cartridges (so I won't have to buy those first thing). That means I would need to print about 1200/8.50 = 141 prints before it starts to pay for itself. I make maybe 5 16x20's per month ... maybe. After that the ink cartridge sets (~$600) pay for themselves at about every 73 prints.

However ... from a convenience standpoint ... I get the advantage of controlling the print process, paper used, etc. etc.

For those of you who use this printer, especially people who do this for a living, I have essentially three questions:
  • Have you found the convenience worth the expenditure?
NO.
Yes and then some. The quality difference is so superior as to make the Wally World option simply untenable. Against the quality of the prints you get from the 3880 every penny spent at Wally World is just money flushed.
Tough call -- it is a well built and sturdy printer but that has to be a personal choice.
Many thanks as always,
--Kerry

NOTE: To get the best out of that printer you're going to want to use good paper and consider building custom ICC profiles for each paper stock you use. That's more money to spend if you don't have a way to create those control profiles. I agree with your cost assessment: I consider a 13x19 print to cost me $5.00 in materials.

Joe

Before you get convinced about the Epsom 3880, which is very expensive, have a look at Canon Pro 100.
Much less expensive, ink costs lower (and there are certain 3d party inks that seem to work perfectly) and the prints are superb.

Downside is max size is 13 x 19 but I've printed a bunch (now working on a paper book using different mfgs) and the prints are as good or better than the custom lab I've been using.
I put a thread somewhere here about the Canon plugin which simplifies printing from LR or PS

Before you get convinced about the Epsom 3880, which is very expensive, have a look at Canon Pro 100.
Much less expensive, ink costs lower (and there are certain 3d party inks that seem to work perfectly) and the prints are superb.

Downside is max size is 13 x 19 but I've printed a bunch (now working on a paper book using different mfgs) and the prints are as good or better than the custom lab I've been using.
I put a thread somewhere here about the Canon plugin which simplifies printing from LR or PS

I agree that prints from the Canon are every bit the quality equal of the Epson. In fact they may be a smidge better. I use both printers in the labs where I work. I think the Epson is a little heavier duty in it's construction, but yep that's a lot more money to print a little bigger.

Joe

I agree that prints from the Canon are every bit the quality equal of the Epson. In fact they may be a smidge better. I use both printers in the labs where I work. I think the Epson is a little heavier duty in it's construction, but yep that's a lot more money to print a little bigger.

Joe
+1, I used to use the big Epsons (not the real big Epsons but the same class as the 3880). I switch to Canon. I think Canon does everything just a bit better. I have a Pro 9500 MKII, I've been thinking of getting the latest and greatest Canon. If you shoot Canon, the printer seems to work especially well with a Canon file (as in easier to dial in the colors).

Gary

Ok joe I hope I don't sound like a doofus but I think I didn't word one of my bullets points the right way ... What I should have asked was "is the expense of buying and owning the printer worth the amount of quality and control that I will gain?"

Traveler I think I'm probably gonna have to have it do 16x20 or nothing ... Is there a canon equivalent that you think would beat the 3880?

We used epson 3800 series printers when I was in school, and I have a couple of thoughts.

-It takes a while to learn how to use them properly. I mean getting all the right boxes checked, profiles loaded, and such.
-Don't expect the prints to come out looking exactly like you want them to the first time you print. It always took us some fidgeting (dodging, burning, and selective color correcting) to get things looking right. Our monitors were calibrated pretty well too.

Ok joe I hope I don't sound like a doofus but I think I didn't word one of my bullets points the right way ... What I should have asked was "is the expense of buying and owning the printer worth the amount of quality and control that I will gain?"

Traveler I think I'm probably gonna have to have it do 16x20 or nothing ... Is there a canon equivalent that you think would beat the 3880?

Hard to say as it depends on your standards and what you want to achieve. I'm real spoiled because I get to use them as much as I want without having to pay for them. For me the difference is dramatic. I send out stuff to MPix when my wife says, "get me a print of that one." My prints I make myself.

I teach on 3 or 4 different campuses and each lab has different hardware. I have access right now to 3880s, 4880s, 9880s, Canon Pro 9000 and Pro 100s and one of the labs just bought one of these last semester which answers your Canon equivalent question: Canon imagePROGRAF iPF5100 Large Format Printer 2157B002BA B&H -- I'm bleepin' in love with it and it may be the best inkjet printer I've ever used, but it's going set you back. I'd have to agree with Lew that the Canon Pro 100 is probably the best bang for the buck out there right now.

Joe

Additionally, especially for us ol' farts who started photography in the film only days ... printing is very satisfying. Printing completes the photographic cycle.

Took a quick look at the Canons:

The iPF5100 is a 12 ink cartridge based printer (17" wide).
The Pro 100 is an 8 ink cartridge based printer (13" wide).
The Pro 1 is a 12 ink cartridge based printer (13" wide).

My discontinued Pro 9500 MKII is a 10 ink cartridge based printer (13" wide).

Additionally, especially for us ol' farts who started photography in the film only days ... printing is very satisfying. Printing completes the photographic cycle.
It is when you wet print but I found it very boring doing digital prints

Most reactions

New Topics

Back