Debating What Item to Pick Up

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by rickabobaloey, Jun 22, 2010.

1. rickabobaloey

rickabobaloey TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I'm planning a small mini vacation coming up in mid-July for about 3 days. I'll be heading over to Lake Michigan, possibly Ludington or Manistee. Both are on the Lake, and both have lighthouses I'd like to capture. Manistee also has a national forest.

I'm debating whether or not I want to get myself a lens, or a nice tripod for traveling (will be doing hiking along the beach, through the woods, and in the cities).

The two lenses I'm considering are;
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III

I'm not sure on what tripod, but I've heard nothing but good things about Monfrotto (spelling?), and would be willing to pay the price for something that is going to last.

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    As important as I believe tripods are, I think the 70-300 might be a more useful addition, HOWEVER - why not check out your local used gear dealer(s) and Craig's List, and maybe you'll find you can get both!

You'll not go wrong with Manfrotto; I'd recommend either the 190 Pro or 055 legs in combination with a 488 ballhead. New? $375. Used... <$200.

3. rickabobaloey

rickabobaloey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the suggestions tired. I'll look at craigslist. Not sure there's a used camera store within an hours drive of where I live, which is in the country. There's a bunch of small pawn shops, but some of them places are so shady on what they buy I'd not be surprised if I bought something only later find out it had been stolen and sold to the pawn shop.