Debating..

ndogg24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am debating on spending the 750$+ for the 18-200VR or just going 70-300VR. I currently have the D50 with the kit lens. I would like to have a zoom lens. I am appealed by the fact the 18-200VR is an all around decent lens that will stay on my camera. So I will rarely change back to the kit. Although I am not fond of the price of the 18-200 I can afford it. So I am asking what everyone thinks. As a note, this is not for anything professional just as a hobby.

It would help if you told us what type of pictures you want to take. Do you really need a 300mm lens (that's equivalent to 450mm on a 35mm camera!)?

when you buy the 18-200VR...keep in mind that the soul purpose of this lense is "convenience".........you cant compare the quality of this lense with other lense of the same price figure....but it does offer decent quality as i use one for myself.......is good for travelling.......but if you are doing specific events knowing what focal length you'll need......there are better lenses

most of the people here would say "NO" to this lense.....but i'll say "YES" on the other hand keeping in mind you are paying for convenience.....not top quality.......i've also compare the quality of the 18-200VR at 50mm with a nikon 50mm f/1.8 prime......at the same focal lenght...with same setting (ISO, aperture, shutter, same frame).....i cant find any major difference between the two......i was shooting portrait inside my living room comparing the pixels looking for sharpness difference.....nothing major noticed

Most reactions

Back