decay

krimad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
IMG_3260.jpg

Is this a total bust? I'm kicking myself for not getting the arch.

I don't like how the photo was taken of the entire room. It's too busy. You (I) want to focus on something, but my eyes keep getting distracted by everything in the picture. If you could just get either the left or right side (including the arch) it would have a much greater composition...

Personally, I don't mind the horizontal-ness of this photo, it is almost symmetrical, which helps, I think. What does not help is the part of window on the left, which is much against the symmetry here. To my mind, the horizontal approach not only shows the vastness of the room but also the dimension of destruction going on. The whole formerly beautiful church (I would gather) is in a state of dilapidation.

If I were you, krimad, I'd also be mad at myself for cropping out the arch, though.
Any chance of a re-shoot to compensate your little fault from the first visit?

And have you played with contrasts and conversions yet? Another idea to bring out even more emotion, maybe?

It's a tricky scene, especially in terms of exposure, perhaps a different time of day and an off-centre composition would help! I don't think the arch is too much of a problem, but I might have been tempted with a vertical frame?

great advice. i agree about the window. i did also shoot it vertically, and got the arch but didn't capture the vastness of the room. maybe i'll throw both up on here for comparison later tonight. thanks all.

Most reactions

Back