Decent Save?

Efergoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Most of my schooling has been in traditional black and white. I've been itching to shoot more color digital. I've shot some color film, but never printed my own. I usually scan negs and print digital, but it has all been experimenting, nothing formally taught.

My current school assignment is digital capture. It is just a small taste for next semester's digital color class.

I was shooting in the studio yesterday using strobes. I've used strobes before using film and pc cords, but everyone knows it is bad juju to stick a pc cable into a digital camera. My camera is a minolta and has that funky propritary hot shoe. The radio slaves the school has does not fit my camera. So, I have to use my external flash to fire the strobes.

The batteries on my flash were starting to peter out, and I was shooting faster than the flash was capable of recycling at the time.

the WB was set for flash, but since it didn't fire, the balance was off, and way underexposed as the only light was coming from 60watt modeling lights.

Here is the original:

PICT0058c.jpg

I really liked the pose and wanted to save this image, but I also knew that there was no way in h-e double hockey sticks was I going to salvage the color. so I added a bit more red (more than was already there - there was nearly no blue to speak of), lightened it a bit, and added a selenium tone.

What do you think? Was this a decent salvage? Or should I try to convince the boy's mother to let me reshoot him?

PICT0058b.jpg

In the color version there is very little contrast and I have a tough time making out any lines..where does his head end and the background begin? :)

In your B&W version, I think you did a fantastic job..to me it looks like you meant to do it.

Here is another pair. This time I tried Sepia. Not sure if it worked as well as the first one...

Original under exsposure:
underex003b.jpg

Sepia:
underex003a.jpg

These are the "nomral" exposures I shot. Kinda looks like I had Olan Mills shoot them, but what the hell...

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0047.jpg

By the way, did I mention this kid hates flash?
PICT0029.jpg

Personally not a big fan of b&w, but that second image is a really good salvage of a lost shot. Much better than the "Olan Mills" even.

Most reactions

Back