Decided on a D90 and lenses, any recommendations before I place the order?

ufjamolei

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am new to the world of DSLR and will start taking classes this summer. After much deliberation, posts and research between the Nikon D90 and Canon 40D/50D, I have finally decided on the D90. It pretty much came down to the feel in my hand and love of my Nikon p&s, as I think they all would meet my needs. I am still agonizing over lens choice. I plan to get the Refurbished D90 ($770) and 18-105 ($190-$240)kit lens from Adorama or Cameta (deciding if it is worth spending $60 more to have the one yr Cameta warranty on top of the 90 day Nikon), the new 50mm f1.8 ($135), and a few cards. I plan to wait and find a backpack and tripod off craigslist. Is there anything I am missing to get started? Also, are my lens choices sound for a beginner? I was considering just getting the 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 instead as a step up from the kit, but I have seen many mixed reviews. I would like to eventually shoot nature, wildlife, newborns, maternity, and baseball, but right now I just need a good all around lens to learn on. I realize I will ultimately need a better lens for baseball, but will I be able to get a decent baseball shot with any of the lenses I have mentioned (college baseball, so I will be close to the field)? Thanks for your help, please be gentle!:D

Last edited:
Looks good to me. 18-105VR will be a great walk around lens. I wouldn't upgrade to the 18-200 personally cause it's a lot of money that you are paying for nothing more than convenience factor. Pick up a 55-200VR if you really want to zoom to 200mm. It's a sharper lens and even at 55mm you can get some decent portrait shots if the need arises while it's mounted. Wait until you've tried the 18-105 though...you might find that it is plenty long for what you need.

The 50mm f1.8 is a great lens and a must have in any bag. I sold mine with my D70s a few months back and am already looking to replace it. I miss shooting at f1.8....fun stuff. The 50mm is also a great budget lens for portraits since the f1.8 will get you a nice shallow DOF. Shoot with what you've got listed for awhile and then feel out which type of photography you find most interesting.....that will decide what your next lens purchase should be.

Looks good to me. 18-105VR will be a great walk around lens. I wouldn't upgrade to the 18-200 personally cause it's a lot of money that you are paying for nothing more than convenience factor. Pick up a 55-200VR if you really want to zoom to 200mm. It's a sharper lens and even at 55mm you can get some decent portrait shots if the need arises while it's mounted. Wait until you've tried the 18-105 though...you might find that it is plenty long for what you need.

The 50mm f1.8 is a great lens and a must have in any bag. I sold mine with my D70s a few months back and am already looking to replace it. I miss shooting at f1.8....fun stuff. The 50mm is also a great budget lens for portraits since the f1.8 will get you a nice shallow DOF. Shoot with what you've got listed for awhile and then feel out which type of photography you find most interesting.....that will decide what your next lens purchase should be.

Thank you Nate, it is comforting to know that I am making the right move. I plan to place my order by the end of the week. Thanks!

The 18-105 is a nice lens, I just sold mine but really enjoyed it. My walk around lens of choice now is the Sigma 18-250 HSM OS - couldn't be happier with it. You should get some nice baseball shots with it, especially at an outside park in good light.

Try to find a Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AF-D lens, it's one of my favorite lenses so far.

Congrats and enjoy!

Most reactions

Back